It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

Staceyj54 HB User
Down Syndrome and ear tubes

I have a 19 month old with down syndrome. She just had her hearing tested and the tympanogram noted that she had fluid in her ears. The results have been this way over the past 8 months. It seems to be slightly affecting her hearing. She has had no ear infections, but I am concerned about her language development. Has anyone experienced this same issue? Would tubes be the best option?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

Staceyj54 HB User
Smile Re: Down Syndrome and ear tubes

I definitely believe it would help with her language development. And I have been down this road before with my son - who had frequent ear infections. His tubes did wonders for him and the surgery was so quick. My only concern is that her ear canals are so tiny and a few other moms I know with downs children have tried to have the tubes put in but the doctor was unsuccessful.

We most likely will wait one more month and if the fluid is still there - we will proceed with the surgery.

Thanks for the feedback. I love to hear stories with a positive outcome.

Stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
(female)

Marie 123 HB User
Re: Down Syndrome and ear tubes

I have 2 daughters with DS and both have had ear tubes...( due to fluid, not because of ear infections) My eldest actually had them implanted 4 times as they do often "fall out"
All I can say is that people often remark how wonderful it is that they both have good language skills. I REALLY believe that it was due to the fact that because their hearing issues were addressed, their language deveoped as well as it did. Each child is different, their language potential is a big ? , but my philosophy is....put everything in their favor ! Communication and language development is so vital for their independence, autonomy etc....
The procedure is quick and well worth it !

Old 07-20-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
(female)

Staceyj54 HB User

I agree it is important to give them every advantage possible. We are going to the ENT next week to get the surgery scheduled. Do you mind me asking how old your girls were when they had this done? Did the surgeon have any trouble getting the tubes in?
Stacey

Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

Marie 123 HB User

Hi Stacey,

My eldest had the ear tubes implanted the first time when she was 2 yrs. , then again at 3yrs, again at 4 yrs. and finally at 6 yrs.
My youngest had the ear tubes implanted when she was 3yrs. and then again at 5yrs.
For both girls and all occasions the procedure went very well...quick and no complications.
The one thing I would plan for prior to surgery are molded ear plugs, as it is very important that water does not get into the ears. We had ours made at the hospital...perhaps you should inquire about this soon!
Good luck ..and please let me know how it all worked out!
Marie

Old 08-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

Staceyj54 HB User

My daughter just had her tube surgery yesterday. they were only able to get a tube into her right ear, but they were able to clean out the fluid from both ears. Hopefully this will help - I will know more when her hearing is tested in a week.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
(female)

Marie 123 HB User

Hi Stacey,

Glad the surgery is over...hopefully the hearing test will show improvements!
Having a child with Down Syndrome can be challenging, but my oh my, there are so many blessings along the way.
Enjoy you little one!
Marie

Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
(female)

Staceyj54 HB User
Smile Re: Down Syndrome and ear tubes

Chloe's hearing was tested and she passed - with significant hearing improvement. I am very excited and hope this will continue to improve her speech.

Closed Thread