It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

mariners95 HB User
Baby with downs syndrome sleep

Our Baby with Downs Syndrome sleeps all the time, she will slepp 24 hours straight and we try to breastfeed her and then go to a bottle and she does bottle feed.
Anyway is it OK for her to be sleeping so much?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
(female)

moody318 HB User
Re: Baby with downs syndrome sleep

My son has DS. That seems like a lot of sleep...my sone had sleep apnea and I think if you aren't breathing correctly you can have problems waking up...how does her color look when she sleeps...I would ask the doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

tracyxx HB User

my son slept all the time when he was a baby...go get your babies heart checked out...he wouldnt feed either as he was to worn out as he had a heart defect that needed surgery

Last edited by tracyxx; 09-10-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: didnt finish

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

moorings HB User

Hi there,
I have jake who is 7 and has Downs Syndrome .. and when he was born i was told he had 2 holes in his heart ASD and VSD and needed corrective surgery as soon as possible.. He too also slept 20 + hrs a day and would rarely stay awake to feed and would be very lethargic.. he had corrective heart surgery at 3 months old and went amazingly well ..and 3 hrs after was feeding like a trooper and couldn't stop him lol .. since he has changed completely !! he hardly ever sleeps now and no matter what time he goes to sleep be it 10pm or 1am ..he will wake up totally re charged and always at 4am the next morning !! He snores so loudly yet saturation levels have shown nothing to be concerned about .. yet he will wake up 4-5 times during the night for no reason at all !!!! sooooooooooooooo strange and yet still appears to be no answers ???

xx

Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

leia21 HB User

my son has downs syndrome too hes just gone 1 and had a large VSD he had surgery in march this year 2 correct it and was home within 6 days of being at leeds LGI he use to sleep for hours and we had to wake him for his feeds he ended up being tubefed for a while but now he sleeps for 10 minutes a day we call this his power nap then hes awke and u wud think he had had bout 24 hours sleep hes very loving yet very hyperacctive he wakes 3-4 times a night for no reason its hard work as i am only 21 and have an older son who is at school too. i took my son to see the doctor about him not sleeping and having me up all night they advised me alter his diet a touch and see if it helped it did abit as he loved bannana i think thats wot was duin it for him it made him wide awake now he wakes 2 times a nite coz i only allow him to eat bannana once a week now

Old 10-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

tracyxx HB User

my son is nearly 6 and like the rest has been fixed..lol i always say they put an extra battery in coz he only needs to have a 10 min nap and he is on the go as if he had 10 hours...and also would wake many times in the night...the bit i had problems with was getting him off to sleep as he just was never tired..his doctor gave me melatonine to use and its fab he is in bed within half an hour of taking it and its 100% natural..i have even used it my self ..lol

Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
(female)

ZACS MOM HB User

maybe you should have her thyroid checked. my son was diagnosed at 2 weeks and has been on meds since then. we see the endocrinologist every 6 months. he would take an ounce of formula and then sleep for 4 to 6 hours since birth.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
(female)

CeeGeeT HB User

Hi
My son wouldn't ever wake for a feed either as a baby, i later found out that babies with DS do not have the same hunger reflex as other babies and you need to wake him to feed him regularly. I found once he put on more weight it got better. He also had open heart surgery but he is still a great sleeper at 13months!

Closed Thread