It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

margaret4 HB User
language development

My granddaughter sometimes speaks in complete sentences that are enunciated clearly and there are times when she speaks in words, or phrases, and sometimes in language that is not understandable. When she was about 15 or 16 months, I was cuddling her in my arms and I said to her "I love you" and in perfect English her reply was "I love you too". I was taken aback and her parents said that they had witnessed such language on rare occasions. I saw a documentary on a young adult with Down Syndrome where the young man was not verbal, but his parents reported that one day, out of the blue, he said "I love you Mom." Is there anyone who has had similar experiences of these unexpected responses?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

tracy5n7 HB User
Re: language development

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret4 View Post
My granddaughter sometimes speaks in complete sentences that are enunciated clearly and there are times when she speaks in words, or phrases, and sometimes in language that is not understandable. When she was about 15 or 16 months, I was cuddling her in my arms and I said to her "I love you" and in perfect English her reply was "I love you too". I was taken aback and her parents said that they had witnessed such language on rare occasions. I saw a documentary on a young adult with Down Syndrome where the young man was not verbal, but his parents reported that one day, out of the blue, he said "I love you Mom." Is there anyone who has had similar experiences of these unexpected responses?
My son is 5. He will suddenly say something,which he gets major kudos for, but when asked to repeat it he cant. He's trying but it just doesn't come out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

margaret4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy5n7 View Post
My son is 5. He will suddenly say something,which he gets major kudos for, but when asked to repeat it he cant. He's trying but it just doesn't come out.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

margaret4 HB User

Thanks for responding. Are the words that your child speaks perfectly clear and readily understandable? Have you heard of this from anyone else who has a Down Syndrome child?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

ashmegmom HB User

My daughter does this every once in awhile. Her speech improves slowly so we can understand more as time goes on but there are times when all of a sudden a full phrase will come out and will be totally clear. It happened just the other day. All of a sudden she pointed while we were waiting for the school bus and said "Look here comes the bus". I know my mouth dropped open. She has done it at school too as they have commented on it. I have no explanation but I sure do enjoy it.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
(female)

tracy5n7 HB User

not always completely clear, sometimes yes. Yesterday it was "mom,apple sauce" as plain as day. Today, hes still saying it but not as perfect. I'll take it! Take care.

Closed Thread