It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

Ita HB User
Thinking of attempting second pregnancy at 45

Hi there,
My beautiful little baby girl who is 6 months old was diagnosed with Trisomy 21 at birth. It was a devestating shock to both my husband and I at the time. When we went to my six week check up understandably I was still kinda numb from the shock. I asked him what I could do to help my daughter along and he said that the best thing for her was to have a sibling which would hugely benefit her development. When I reminded him of my age (45)he was not in the slightest concerned and said he had delivered babies to 49 year old women. I would dearly love to have another baby for me our daughter and my husband who is 39. Any similar experiences to relate?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
(female)

klava HB User
Re: Thinking of attempting second pregnancy at 45

Hi Ita,

There are several tests for "older mothers" (over 35) in North America, starting from NT scan, to CVS or amniocentesis - if a woman wants to know about any future problems like trisomy, in the developing fetus. Are these in Ireland? A mother who knows months before labor date that her child will have Downs, at least has time to prepare mentally.

Sure, you can carry another baby - the proof is 6 months old

I'm 45, and've been thinking on and off if I could add to our family. My kids are 4 and 5 years old. It is great to have two children close in age - they play with each other a lot, all the while learning co-operation. I think largely because of this "training', my kids are doing great socially, in school.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by klava; 01-14-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

Ita HB User

Hi Klava,
Many thanks for your reply. I totally agree with what you say regarding having 2 children and how good it is for them socially. Thanks for your encouragement and kind words,
Regards,
Ita

Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
(female)

CeeGeeT HB User

Hi Ita,
I have a daughter (2.5 years non DS) and a boy (13 months DS), they are wonderful company for each other she is totally devoted to him and he gets so excited to see her!

We plan to get pregnant again hopefully soon. I have anxieties but mainly about the future when we're gone if my DD had two siblings with special needs. I don't know what tests are available to us in here in Dublin but i assume that your doctor will give you what ever you ask for.

I was advised to take as good prenatal supplements (zinc, magnesium, folic acid, iron and a multi vit) as there is some evidence that the quality of the developing egg can influence the chromosomal make up.

Good luck
Cx

Closed Thread