It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

newmom08 HB User
new here

I had a babygirl 3 months ago and she was born with downs. I was devastated my quad screen came back negative. How do you cope with the news that your child is not what's considered "normal". I'm lost and I feel like no one knows how I feel. My fiance is going through the same emotions, but I need to know other Mothers have or feel the way I do.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
(male)

cfoley HB User
Re: new here

Hang in there. I have a 13 year old daughter with DS. I think most of us had similar feelings when first finding out. Time will change those feelings, and though there are challenges along the way, you will soon see that your girl will give you unlimited joy and love. For now, you need to look for support from those around you, and focus on the well being and care for your daughter. The early months and years will really place a role in how she grows and functions. Early intervention with all the therapies will benefit her greatly down the road, both physically and mentally. There are allot of great resources out there to help you, but sometimes you have to go find them. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

JDuquesnes mom HB User

I have a 6 month old little boy w/ DS. You learn to move on. I have days I cry all the time and some days just the way my son looks at me makes everything seem ok. I have four kids 7 and younger so I know what he should be doing and what he isn't doing which makes it a little harder and the delay more obvoius. My sister had a baby who was the " norm " about 11 weeks after I did. Justin was born with a TEF which required surgery so we were apart for about a month I guess I am just grateful to have him with me. As far as you , you will have ups and downs but you will be alright. Read the book called Gift it is how children born with Down Syndrome have enriched their parent's life. Have you heard of the poem Welcome to Holland? Another thing they have some absoulutely gorgeous babies with Down Syndrome . Don't let anyone bring you down. I have a very close relationship with my OT, PT and Social Worker, ask them for a local support group. One more thing, you will never get over this , you will learn how to move forward . My son is so amazing he has taught me so much about the value of life and I am very proud to take this incredible journey with him. I just had to share my thoughts with you.

Last edited by JDuquesnes mom; 06-22-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

Lela17 HB User

I felt the same way you are feeling. My son is 4 now, him being DS was a total surprise as well. First few months were really hard because he had a heart surgery, and just a lot of health issues in general, and that was tough. But then for me reality set in and I just kept concentraiting on the positive. And that's what kept me going. You want to give them the best posibile help out there, and you make goals for them with your therapists and you go from there. You take it one day at the time and it helps if you have somebody to talk to. If you can find a group where parents and kids with special needs meet together. I really enjoyed that a lot. It made me feel like I wasn't alone in this world going through this, you know... You will be fine. Good Luck with everything, and hope to hear from you again.

Closed Thread