It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

meghanlove HB User
my boyfriends sister has down syndrome, does that mean that our baby will?

my boyfriends sister has down syndrome, does that mean that our baby will?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: my boyfriends sister has down syndrome, does that mean that our baby will?

No, it does not. Down Syndrome is not hereditary at all. It occurs in the mother's egg cell, and is totally random. Older mothers may be more at risk due their eggs deteriorating as they get older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
(female)

Tresmommy HB User

Translocation is the only type of DS that can be hereditary but its not always hereditary. its instead of him having an whole extra chromosome he's got only half an extra one..he's got his two normal ones and half of a third one connected to the normal two. thats how the genetic doctor explained it to us. he's pretty much like a normal DS just not as severe. hes extremely high functioning.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
(female)

meowmamacat HB User

My Dr said yes it is hereditary.And can be random like it happened to me. I was only 26 and I had a downs baby.The Dr said it happens at the time of conception and the egg is sticky so the cells dont divide properly so it creates the extra chormosone.The older the woman past 40 the risks increase.Now that I have one Downs I have a 50% chnace of having another Downs,but now Im 41 the risk would be even higher.I was a fluke said the Dr since I was young n healthy and have no traits of any kind of handicaps in the family,so my odds were like me winning the lotto!

Closed Thread