It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

GrannyChad HB User
Behaviours with Downs

Hi all,
I am new to this site and work in disabilities and assist a person with Downs who is 40 yrs old.
I am after some suggestions/ideas/whatever!!! to try to motivate this person. They attend a day placement and does not want to particiapate in any of the programs anymore. All the programs offered are things this person has until recently enjoyed.
This person also is becoming very lathargic and near impossible to motivate to even go for a walk.

Is there anyone here who has/knows of/ etc with any ideas? I am also after some ideas, new ones, lol, to try to manage a growing weight problem with this person to ..........

Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

balletstar HB User
Re: Behaviours with Downs

hello GrannyChad!
my little sister has Down Syndrome but she is only 13 so these ideas might only apply to younger children. It's worth a try though.
I find reward schemes really useful, like for my sister we have a calander on the wall and every time she goes for a walk/gets dressed by herself or something like that she gets to choose a sticker to put in that day. Or you could take that a step further and say a cinema trip or something or whatever this person enjoys the most.
As for the weight, my sister has a similar issue....again, reward schemes work and a set diet plan and exercise plan is what she is on. It sounds really mean but not giving in at all is the only way to move forward with this!!
hope everything goes well
xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

ashmegmom HB User

First thing I would want to do is make sure that there is no medical issues that could be causing the change in the person. Maybe they don't feel good enough to walk or do anything else.

My daughter is 13 so she is younger also. But she is very determined at times to not do what we ask. It is the change in your person from wanting to do these things to not that concerns me.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

GrannyChad HB User

Yeah, we have done the rewards thing and sometimes it works but generally not for long, he gets bored with it quickly. He also has a rather active social life already. Medically all is well to with no changes in general wellbeing. We have begun reducing the size of his meals a bit and have a 4-5 day holiday planned for the next few mths. However, this is not a reward trip but he does know if he doesn't do his program at his day placement he won't be going. Sometimes this helps but not generally or consistantly. He just doesn't want to go or do anything anymore and it's really hard to motivate him.

Thanks for your responses though, much appriciated.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletstar View Post
hello GrannyChad!
my little sister has Down Syndrome but she is only 13 so these ideas might only apply to younger children. It's worth a try though.
I find reward schemes really useful, like for my sister we have a calander on the wall and every time she goes for a walk/gets dressed by herself or something like that she gets to choose a sticker to put in that day. Or you could take that a step further and say a cinema trip or something or whatever this person enjoys the most.
As for the weight, my sister has a similar issue....again, reward schemes work and a set diet plan and exercise plan is what she is on. It sounds really mean but not giving in at all is the only way to move forward with this!!
hope everything goes well
xxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing I would want to do is make sure that there is no medical issues that could be causing the change in the person. Maybe they don't feel good enough to walk or do anything else.

My daughter is 13 so she is younger also. But she is very determined at times to not do what we ask. It is the change in your person from wanting to do these things to not that concerns me.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
(female)

gusgus84 HB User

Hi, its very common for down dyndrome people to have hypothyroidism, which will make them lethargic, and also gain weight. might be worth requesting a test. Depression is also very common as they have trouble expressing their feelings. just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Reply Reply