It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

Coffee lover HB User
DS and noise sensitivity

My son is 6 and has DS. He is very sensitive to noise and always has been. This severely limits what events we are able to attend as a family. Doctors and teachers tell me that this is more of an autistic characteristic and have no idea if he will outgrow this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

ashmegmom HB User
Re: DS and noise sensitivity

My daughter is 12 and she is very sensitive. We have a fight any time we try to go to a function where it is very enclosed and loud. I have had suggestions of headphones with music and noice reduction ear plugs but my girl will not tolerate anything in her ears. All are sensory issues and I have been told autistic behaviors. We get her evaluated tomorrow for autism. I am sorry I have no real answers. Just know you are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

Coffee lover HB User

Thank you soo much for replying. My son also is very hands off with accessories (hats, gloves, ear muffs, plugs, etc.) He does love music, so I may try that later, but my fear at this point is that he'd accidentally turn the volume up too loud and never want to try it again. I hope your daughter's evaluation goes well. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear how it goes. My son sees a behavioral psychologist and I asked her about the autism link w/loud noises. She said she doesn't think he has it, but sometimes I wonder.
Thanks a lot and good luck!!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
(female)

ashmegmom HB User

Well we now have a diagnosis of Autism. I am actually relieved because it explains so much. For so long I have wondered why we have so much more trouble than other parents of children with Down Syndrome. We now will have resources and experts to help us find new ways. They said that kids with DS who also have autism tend to be more social than kids with just autism. My daughter does not interact with kids her age and doesn't initiate social interactions. She will accept hugs and give them but usually to people she knows well. Her speech was another thing that was more on the autism spectrum of difficulties. She repeats a lot and doesn't have many words. If you truly feel your son might have autism I would find a place that is experienced in diagnosing and take him there. I wish we had known a long time ago!

Carla

Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

Nanc HB User

How do they diagonose Autism? Is it thru evaluating them or is it blood work etc..? I have always thought my daughter showed signs of Autism too and she has VERY LIMITED speech, She is 23 and I am about the only one that knows what she is trying to say. She does the tapping of things on her top lip and has always been sensitive to loud noises too. Behavoirs can be difficult to handle at times too. What kind of things do they tell you to do differently if they have both Down Syndrome and Autism?

Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
(female)

Coffee lover HB User

My son is not autistic (that I know of), but the last responder to my thread said her daughter has been recently diagnosed. As far as I know, the diagnosis is based on observable behaviors and responses to stimuli in the environment. I don't think there is any bloodwork used in the diagnosis. I have been told that sensitivity to noise is much more common to autism than down syndrome. I hope your child does not have autism. My son is 6, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
(female)

NoSnow HB User

My 15 year old has always had a strong sensitivity to sound. The things that bother him the most are what most people would consider normal level sounds: his sisters talking or making noises, the beeping of the laptop battery, dishes being washed. Although, he's never been diagnosed, I know he has Sensory Integration Disorder. He just can't process and tune out the multitude of sensory stimuli coming in all at the same time. So, if the seam in his sock is bothering him, kids are playing in the same room, and someone is watching t.v.and he can see the light from it flicking, it's sensory overload.

We tried getting him big headphones, like someone would use to protect their ears at work, but they were in themselves, a sensory issue. What ended up working the best was an mp3 player with regular headphones. They block out a lot of outside sounds and he gets to listen to music that he likes.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
(female)

Coffee lover HB User

Thanks for responding. I have tried headphones too, but as you said, that creates a sensory issue as well! I suspect my son has Sensory Integration Disorder also. The funny thing is, I suspect my daughter has it as well. She is typical, but has always had tactile sensitivity (i.e., sock seams, waistbands, certain fabrics,etc.). Good luck to you!

Closed Thread