It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

joanneuk44 HB User
Double bubble duodenal atresia

Hi am joaane new here am so sad and need help.
33 week pregnant with identical twins girls,went for a scan today the scare of my life one of the twins has to much fluid they say the stomarch in baby twin has a block and that they need to operate at birth,they call it double bubble duodenal atresia with a 1 in 4 chance of downs s .......can any one give me info has any one had same prob many thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

seansmom26 HB User
Re: Double bubble duodenal atresia

My son was also diagnosed, at 32 weeks, with duodenal atresia. They found a double bubble in an ultrasound. We were at a complete loss, as all of our screening tests and prior ultrasounds came back as "normal". When they found the double bubble, we were told that he had a 50/50 chance of having DS and that he would most likely need surgery immediately after birth to correct the problem (whether he had DS or not). We found an experienced pediatric surgeon and met with him immediately. The surgeon assessed him minutes after he was born and advised us that surgery was necessary. My son had surgery about a day after he was born and the surgery was successful.

My best advise is to find an experienced doctor for possible surgery. Also be sure to deliver at a facility that has a Level III NICU or specialized children's hospital. You, and the baby, will get through it.

Best of luck to you and your girls. Just know that you are not alone.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-28-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: request

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

jewe HB User

Congratulations on your babies!

At 21 weeks, the ultrasound showed a double bubble and my daughter also was diagnosed with duodenal atresia. Since my daughter would need surgery right after birth to repair the duodenal atresia, I was referred to an OB and pediatric surgeon at a larger hospital, so that I could deliver at a hospital that could treat her. I also had an amniocentesis and we found out she had Down syndrome.

During the pregnancy I had two complications from the duodenal atresia: excess amniotic fluid and I went into labor 4 weeks early.

My daughter had surgery a day after she was born. We were glad that we delivered her at a hospital that could care for her. She was in NICU for 3 1/2 weeks and came home on a feeding tube. We tube fed her until she was 3 1/2 months old - which sounds scary, but we learned quickly.

She is now 20 months old - she has had no issues since we weaned her from the feeding tube. The surgeon said the atresia is fixed and she should have no further issues and no need for follow up. All in all, she is a healthy little girl!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
(female)

joanneuk44 HB User

I wish your son well made me have tears reading your file,sorry to hear that he has downs s....am so frighted have my test done monday.because of identical twins means they both will positive of downs s.....then the operation worry all the way i cant wipe the tears away.
What level of downs s ....do your son have whats the long tearm going to be like?
and many thanks for your reply.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
(female)

kaceywood HB User

Hi Joanne!

I am in exactly the same situation as you. We were referred to St Thomas in London yesterday and they said baby has high chance of double bubble. we decided to have amnio done and are now awaiting results.

edited: read the rules in the FAQ please.

Kacey

Last edited by Administrator; 05-28-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Closed Thread