It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

quartzcrystals HB User
61 year old downs sister and Dilantin

Hi all

I just found this board, I hope i can figure posting out, anyway
my oldest sister Peggy has Downs Syndrome. She is 61 and lives with my youngest brother. She broke her ankel 4 months ago, in the hospital for plate and screws. I sit with her during the days untill my brother Lester gets home from work.
She had a seizure yesterday morning, He called 911 and she was taken to the Local hospital ER. We think this is the 3rd seizure in the last 4 months, It is the only seizure that eithere one of us has wittnessed, The other 2 we found her on the floor and disoriented in the early morning when we went to wake her up and check on her,

The ER doctor has prescribed Dilantin for her, She has never been on any type of meds except an asprin a day that we just started since the broke ankle.

I would like to know if anyone has any advise or experience with Dilantin. The doctor said it is used for seizures, few side effects, and it should help her dementia which she has just recently started having .

Thank You all in advance for any information.
Peggy is a blessing to our Family,
Mom had 7 children, Peggy is the oldest daughter and 2nd born.
All of us siblings do what we can to take care of her, as mom crossed over
11 years ago. She has done great all these years, alot of surgeries in the past. Gall bladder, hysterectomy, appendectomy, abdominal hernia x 3,,
Now
only the broke ankle, bad arthritist in her knee, she is not a canidate for surgery due to bad venious circulation, so we deal with it. and now slight dementia and the beginning of the seizures.

Thank You again for any advise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

jammyslisa HB User
Re: 61 year old downs sister and Dilantin

Quartzcrystals,
I am a special education teacher who works with a lot of students who have seizures. The good thing about dilantin is that it an older medication so most of the side effects are known. This means you can look up the side effects and watch out for them with your sister. However, there are newer anti seizure meds out there now that have fewer side effects and may be more effective. Would you be able to get a second opinion for your sister? However, if the dilantin does also help with her dementia, it might be a good drug for her. Just be sure to watch her for the side effects and keep in touch with a neurologist ( did a neuro prescribe the dilantin for her?).
I like that you appreciate your sister for who she is.

Lisa

Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
(female)

quartzcrystals HB User
Re: 61 year old downs sister and Dilantin

Lisa

Thank you for your help and the information. It was the ER Doctor who prescribed the Dilantin, He said that in 3 weeks would would need to take her to the doctor to have her blood levels checked.. He suggested a neurologist or her family doctor.
Her family doctor and all the staff are very good to her but since this is so serious, I will probably make an appointment with the neurologist.

We have been lucky all these years as Peggy has been high functioning.She has attended some type of program daily, all her life . A state run local
program where the van picks her up and brings her home. They have about 30 young adults at different levels. Some sever and others not as bad... She loves it,, and calls it high school

When she was young, she wanted to go to school with the rest of us children, it was not allowed back in those days. The only thing there was
at the time was a state run institution in Topeka Kansas. She lived there from ages 10 to 16 , She loved it. We would make the drive to go get her and bring her home for a few weeks, mabe twice a year.. After a day or 2 at home she would want to go back to school and be with her friends.

She has always got up early, 6 or so to wait on the van, The last 4 months since the broke ankle she has not mentioned going back to school. She sits at her table, works the same puzzle over and over and is content as long as she has her soda, her tv is on the AMC channel and she has her bedroom and all her things in the order she puts them in.

She has been sleeping later in the mornings the last few months. The days that she gets up early and we start her routein are the good days. She is always happy and we have even had a few good laughs in all these doctor visits over the last 4 months. Our goal is to get her walking good enough that she mite be abel to go back to school. I dont know if that will ever happen but we will deal with what ever comes. She is truly one of Gods special children, and a big part of our family.

Thank You for your help
Peggys sister

Closed Thread