It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

hmahappy HB User
Experience with Abilify? increased OCD, emotional lability, and angry outbursts.

Hi,
My sister has DS and she is 35 years old. She's had a long rocky road of meds since she was 13, and was diagnosed with psychosis and depression. She's tried the old antipsychotics, newer drugs, and has been on a combination of both antipsychotics and antidepressents since. Each time she is on a meds, usually for 5-7 yrs, then she develops tolerance to them, and she starts spiralling down, usually she gets emotionally labile, aggressive, crying a lot about absolutely anything and so on. So we switch the meds.
The last time she was on a tricyclic antipsychotic, and that happened so the Dr prescribed Abilify 5 mg. So she takes cipralex, which is an antidepressent, and abilify.
After the first month it was great, she was happy, cooperating, interactive, and communicating with us. Now, 6 months into the drug, she is once again, emotionally labile, hypersensitive, extremely OCD, angry and frustrated about everything, she screams and cries about anything. Its really hard. Especially because its so unpredictable, we don't know when or how she will react. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with Abilify.
I'm trying to figure out, does she need a larger dose of Abilify maybe (what kind of doses have you experienced)? Has she already developed tolerance to it,within 6 mos? Does she need a different type of med maybe?
Unfortunately we are traveling far from her psychiatrist, so i'm trying to figure this out by myself.
Thanks so much everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
(female)

tulum HB Usertulum HB User
Re: Experience with Abilify? increased OCD, emotional lability, and angry outbursts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmahappy View Post
Hi,
My sister has DS and she is 35 years old. She's had a long rocky road of meds since she was 13, and was diagnosed with psychosis and depression. She's tried the old antipsychotics, newer drugs, and has been on a combination of both antipsychotics and antidepressents since. Each time she is on a meds, usually for 5-7 yrs, then she develops tolerance to them, and she starts spiralling down, usually she gets emotionally labile, aggressive, crying a lot about absolutely anything and so on. So we switch the meds.
The last time she was on a tricyclic antipsychotic, and that happened so the Dr prescribed Abilify 5 mg. So she takes cipralex, which is an antidepressent, and abilify.
After the first month it was great, she was happy, cooperating, interactive, and communicating with us. Now, 6 months into the drug, she is once again, emotionally labile, hypersensitive, extremely OCD, angry and frustrated about everything, she screams and cries about anything. Its really hard. Especially because its so unpredictable, we don't know when or how she will react. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with Abilify.
I'm trying to figure out, does she need a larger dose of Abilify maybe (what kind of doses have you experienced)? Has she already developed tolerance to it,within 6 mos? Does she need a different type of med maybe?
Unfortunately we are traveling far from her psychiatrist, so i'm trying to figure this out by myself.
Thanks so much everyone.
You should contact her psychiatrist for a phone consult

Reply Reply