It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

agirllikethat HB User
I have a 26 year old daughter with downs.

I have a 26 year old daughter with downs and she used to be very sociable, then one day she just stopped talking. I ask her questions and she just looks at me, sometimes she answers in a whisper. I had her at the doctors and he put her on a antidpressant which made her extremely hyper, she was running around the yard as fast as she could, so i quit giving it to her being she has heart problems and it was scaring me. Sometimes I think she has developed some sort of autismn.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: I have a 26 year old daughter with downs.

I am sorry that you don't have more insight about what has caused your daughter to become timid. Perhaps the doctor put her on too high a dose. There are several medications out there that could really benefit rather than hurt your daughter.

Has something happened recently in her life that might make her react in such a way? Are you able to ask her if something is bothering her?

I hope she returns to herself and relieves you of the worry you must be feeling for her. Sincerely, searchin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
(male)

forestspirit HB User

So it sounds like there is this sudden change in behavior, and you really sense a lot of negativity. It sounds like something has really influenced her.

This is how I would approach the change if I observed it in one of my associates.
It sounds like communicaiton is difficult right now, but keep asking how she is. Can you understand what little she is saying? Work with that. That is where the hints are. Really show her you're there for them, patiently. In my experience with helping people with Down, on the spot questions can be hard for them to answer. But down the line they will be compelled to say something when it just 'hits them' in an environment they feel comfortable to say what they feel. I am always compelled to learn more... so I'll ask outright questions but I know they are like seeds. They need to rest beneath the surface for a while before really showing itself. And I'm not saying time is needed because they're 'dumb' either. But deep self expression from people with Down always comes out of the blue in my experience, after posing a question, and providing them with an innovative and comforting environment until they have that moment of expressive lucidity.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
(female)

Legsy03 HB User

Okay, people don't just 'develop' autism, it is there from birth. It was once thought that vaccines and autism were linked but research has found that is not the case. Plus there are varying degrees of autism, some people are high functioning and others have little to no language skills.

Has something happened to your daughter to make her unsociable? It could even be something that you find insignificant, like somebody saying something negative to her or the death of a pet or a friend's pet. Have you had any family members/good friends move away recently? Or have you changed anything in her daily routine? It could be something that you might not even think could be affecting her.

Reply Reply