It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: astoria queens
Posts: 1
Guddo HB User
i need assistance and information


I have recently moved to NY-USA permanently

i am now a home maker however i was an acting principal for deva academy for the deaf
and also receieved teachings from the lexigton school for deaf here in NY back in the 70's
i have been involved in social work most of my adult life.

I am writing for my son.
he is now 24 years old and is down syndrome.

i had very limited resources to tap for my son
however i tried everything to normalize him and make him more sociablly acceptable

he was in a special school (IBS - institution for behavioral studies)
he was part of special olympics
he was attending creative camps (catering to such individuals)

however, since we had to move here, i am very worried
as we have no knowledge as to where and how should
he be able to utilize his time and make the most of it

he is an american citizen, enjoys indian music, draws and sings
i would really appreciate (humbly) that if some one can assist and guide us
to what oppurtunities are out there for him.

please i look forward to hearing from someone. i myself would like to assist as much as i can

thankyou so much
awaiting your reply

a worried mother
mrs. malik

Last edited by Administrator; 01-08-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to Guddo:
MomOfDownsAutis (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Forest, Ca, USA
Posts: 8
MomOfDownsAutis HB User
Re: i need assistance and information

In California we have the Regional Center of Orange County (RCOC) which has been a wonderful source of info/programs/respite, etc. Our Regional worker visits us once a year and accesses our needs and is always avaliable by phone for emergency situations.

If you need help with income- you can apply for SSI from Social Security and check your local Social Services office to see if they have "In Home Support Services" that will pay you to take care of your disabled dependant.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-30-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
behavior problems(yelling) need help! kaden02 Down Syndrome 5 06-08-2007 04:02 PM
hello, I am in need of advice. mike.ingersoll Down Syndrome 12 03-15-2007 03:11 AM
pregnant with ds need of a realistic view NatD Down Syndrome 13 11-03-2006 08:19 PM
What do I need to know snickergal Down Syndrome 1 10-24-2006 10:24 AM
I need some advice hfalk95 Down Syndrome 7 10-13-2006 06:17 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.


There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added


kanded (2), Karen W. (2), Kay3282 (2), JUDY1954 (1), Karren26 (1), thenwhat00 (1), slenderella (1), Clyde1 (1), mehoo (1), BrendaW1966 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!