It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

kathiat40 HB User
wellbutrin how long for suppressed appetite

good day,
i have just started wellburtrinsr 150mg/day to try to increase energy and alleviate 40 pounds of weight gain from various ad's. i have also recently (2 months ago) started 40 mg of prozac. can anyone tell me when they saw a weight difference or appetite change with wellbutrin? PS: never had a weight problem until age 39.

Old 11-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

giella HB User
Hello:

I did not have ANY weight loss on wellbutrin, in fact i think I gained weight. Not a lot, but a couple/few pounds. I think it retains water w/some people.

Wellbutrin seems better than zoloft & prozac in the sense that there are no sexual side effects and you're not napping constantly. But I am trying to go off it--it makes me irritated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiat40
good day,
i have just started wellburtrinsr 150mg/day to try to increase energy and alleviate 40 pounds of weight gain from various ad's. i have also recently (2 months ago) started 40 mg of prozac. can anyone tell me when they saw a weight difference or appetite change with wellbutrin? PS: never had a weight problem until age 39.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #3

maskbloom HB User
Re: wellbutrin how long for suppressed appetite

I gained 50 lbs while taking Wellbutrin....Good luck

Old 11-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #4

Curls22 HB User

Honestly, unfortunately I have gained weight on wellbutrin too. I thought I was just weird. People do, supposedly, lose weight on it though. So, it may do that for you! Good luck!!

Old 11-24-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

kathiat40 HB User

just to update:
I have now been on wellbutrin for just under one month. I finally have noticed l my appetite diminishing slightly by dinner time. I am probably eating half of what I was 30 days ago, and have not had to binge at night either. I no longer crave chocolate (i know, very weird), and have only had those "starving" days once or twice, likely related to hormones. I feel i have lost a bit of weight, but don't like to weigh myself. btw i am 5'7" and about 200 lbs.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
(female)

BchGrl HB User

I have not lost weight on Wellburtin. It doesn't help with my depression at all and makes me figety and irritated and very anxious. I'm going back to Paxil.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Inactive

lala123 HB User

I was on Wellbutrin and Prozac at different times. Prozac definitely diminished appetite. Took about 6 wks to really kick in.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #8

ElizabethLost HB User

After going from 109 to 127 in two months, I made the switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin last week...

Already, I feel "lighter" and my clothes are fitting much better.

Side effects and withdrawal are not pleasant but it's worth it to me. Plus, it's helped me cut out cigarettes during the day.

I have panic disorder as well but it hasn't bothered me. However, I've learned to master panic attacks by other techniques...and yes, Xanax.

You all may think I'm crazy. But my family doctor said I respond very quickly to medicine...which is a good thing. After 3 days on Zoloft, I felt great and I was a total non-believer in meds helping my clinical depression.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
(female)

BoomBoomBelinda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiat40 View Post
just to update:
I have now been on wellbutrin for just under one month. I finally have noticed l my appetite diminishing slightly by dinner time. I am probably eating half of what I was 30 days ago, and have not had to binge at night either. I no longer crave chocolate (i know, very weird), and have only had those "starving" days once or twice, likely related to hormones. I feel i have lost a bit of weight, but don't like to weigh myself. btw i am 5'7" and about 200 lbs.
Kathiat40, I am so glad I found your reply to this post! I've only been on Wellbutrin for about a week and a half (for depression) and I've been wondering about the appetite supression and when it kicks in. The first week, I didn't really notice too much difference but today I'm feeling very "blah" about food in general, which is a new one for me, to say the least! How are you feeling in general compared to last month? I'm trying to get an idea of a timeframe it'll take before I notice overall improvments in my mood, ect. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Wellbutrin is meant for depression and for lower amounts to stop smoking. The appetite suppression is a side effect that only happens with some people and is no where near guaranteed to take place. Weight loss with antidepressants has a lot to do with how the med effects your body's chemistry and more important the metabolism rate which is why you see so many different stories saying they are gaining or they are losing weight

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread