It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #1

bmackenz HB User
Effexor vs. Zoloft

Can anyone explain the Pros and Cons of Effexor vs Zoloft. Is one better than the other, useful for certain problems, etc
why is one prescribed as opposed to another.
I am recently on Effexor (1.5 months) mainly for depression but also anxiety. I see improvements for depression, but still have the anxiety and minor OCD tendancies. I'm happy with it so far, but have no experience with anything else - I'd like to see more treatment for the anxiety, fidgetiness and I am tired all the time
My sister was very recently put on Zoloft due to the sudden death of her fiancee which resulted in her being admitted for in-patient care due to her severe depression (she also had renewed a previously under-control cocaine problem which is also being worked on as out-patient care).
My depression is unrelated to, but was exasperated by, my sister's issues. She has now moved in with my husband and me (no kids) and has given up the apartment she lived in with her fiancee. This was a stipulation of her release, they didn't want her living alone.
And, all this has happened since just before Thanksgiving.
She hates her medication and wants off, the out-patient program won't allow it (she'll lose her job if she doesn't complete the program, she's on forced disability for 3 months).
Which brings me back to the original questions... why Zoloft over Effexor, what's the difference and which is better/worse.
On another issue, my husband is also on Effexor and has been for a number of years. He and I were both told it was to control his sudden anger (he's not violent towards me, but has angry rages) and severe ADHD which has been left untreated (and wrongly diagnosed) since he was a child. My doctor wonders why my husband's doctor would have him on Effexor for ADHD and thinks he should be on something else... any thoughts on this one ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread