It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Inactive

tzty HB User
Thumbs down Dangers of Zoloft

I was reading the posts on Zoloft and felt that I had to interject in here somewhere. I was put on Zoloft years ago by a Neurologist for white outs or brain fogs as I called them. I would be driving somewhere and have no idea where I was. I would be reading an article in the paper and it would be 9:30 and next thing I knew it was 11:30 and I had read nothing, or if I had I had no memory of it. I would get lost driving to work and there was only one road leading towards my job and I had driven that road for the past 10 years or more. I really was scared. It was very freaky and scarey to me and to my family. So when this doctor told me I need to take Zoloft I did. I lost weight at first....loved that part but I felt like I was just there. Eventually I leveled out and even though the weight stayed off I still was depressed. The doctors answer was a higher dosage of the Zoloft. I listened and when I saw a Psychologist he told me I had to stay on it for at least 16-18 months. I was not too happy but I did it. Finally he said I could go off and I weaned off for about two weeks. I just stopped taking it then and did great. I also suffer from SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder) so when winter hits I get down again. I went back on it for the winter and when spring came I just stopped taking it. No side effects from stopping cold turkey at all. Over the next two years I was back and forth on it. I finally went on it again this past late fall and then my husband said I was having mood swings so far out left field I was driving him nuts. I talked to the Neurologist on my 6 month visit and he told me he wanted me to up it to 50 MG and stay there for a month and then go to 75mg. I was fine with his decision and left it go. Then my husband started investigating Zoloft. The information he found scared me to death. I immediately stopped taking it and went to see my doctor. She was amazed at the findings and publications on this medicine as well. Needless to say I am now on Effexor XR 75 mg at bedtime and I feel alot better.

Zoloft was found to make patients depressed.(Paxil and Prozac do the same thing) It was also found to have put people in psychotic episodes where they would actually do bodily harm to themselves or to someone and in a few cases they actually killed somone. One man killed his wife of 50 years. I was shocked and in total panic after reading the information. It was so scarey that I was in tears. All I could think of was the damages that were done to me and to others.

In a hearing and depostion that was taken by attorneys for a lawsuit the one maunfacturer stated that this Zoloft caused side effects of depression, along with Prozac and Paxil. He also admitted that this was information that was not given out to most doctors only that it was a miracle drug for depression. That it is not uncommon to not disclose all the information or side effects to a doctors office when they go there to peddle their wares. The man admitted that alot of this information is not even given to the drug reps themselves. Some are and some aren't. If a drug shows it may help numerous patients in another area besides depression they then would put that infomation into the doctors hands in hopes of it being used more frequently.

This is the case of Topamax. It is a seizure drug not one for pain or for Fibromyalgia. It is not for panic attacks or for brain fogs/whiteouts or memory loss. Some people have had success with this medicine for some of these problems but it is not FDA approved and the FDA is going after the pharmacutical companies more and more each day.

Another example is the one release recently that they are now using the nicotine patch, in test studies, in a lower dosage to help aliviate short term memory loss and are testing it with older patients for alzheimers disease. This was public knowledge on one of the news sites that I get mail from. I was shocked. Can you imagine giving up smoking for your health and the being told to use a nicotine patch for your memory problem??? Granted it is not in your lungs just the bloodstream but it is still another poison.

On Feb 2, 2004 the FDA is having hearings concerning the handling of these medications and the distribution of it to children and teenagers. The suicide rate is up on these meds from this age group. You have to figure if it can do it to a child or teen it can also do it to an adult. I am anxious to see what they find and how much real damage these meds are. It is so easy for them to just hand them out that sometimes they don't research the meds first. Look at how they are doing it to kids today with ADHD. They give them Ritalin just because a parent asked for it because the child is disruptive at times in school or at home. They do it so they kids are passive and just sit and do nothing, turning them into zombies.

Okay I have said enough. I am sure if you research these meds you will find alot more information on them. Good luck and God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: Dangers of Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyshow
I was reading the posts on Zoloft and felt that I had to interject in here somewhere. I was put on Zoloft years ago by a Neurologist for white outs or brain fogs as I called them. I would be driving somewhere and have no idea where I was. I would be reading an article in the paper and it would be 9:30 and next thing I knew it was 11:30 and I had read nothing, or if I had I had no memory of it. I would get lost driving to work and there was only one road leading towards my job and I had driven that road for the past 10 years or more. I really was scared. It was very freaky and scarey to me and to my family. So when this doctor told me I need to take Zoloft I did. I lost weight at first....loved that part but I felt like I was just there. Eventually I leveled out and even though the weight stayed off I still was depressed. The doctors answer was a higher dosage of the Zoloft. I listened and when I saw a Psychologist he told me I had to stay on it for at least 16-18 months. I was not too happy but I did it. Finally he said I could go off and I weaned off for about two weeks. I just stopped taking it then and did great. I also suffer from SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder) so when winter hits I get down again. I went back on it for the winter and when spring came I just stopped taking it. No side effects from stopping cold turkey at all. Over the next two years I was back and forth on it. I finally went on it again this past late fall and then my husband said I was having mood swings so far out left field I was driving him nuts. I talked to the Neurologist on my 6 month visit and he told me he wanted me to up it to 50 MG and stay there for a month and then go to 75mg. I was fine with his decision and left it go. Then my husband started investigating Zoloft. The information he found scared me to death. I immediately stopped taking it and went to see my doctor. She was amazed at the findings and publications on this medicine as well. Needless to say I am now on Effexor XR 75 mg at bedtime and I feel alot better.

Zoloft was found to make patients depressed.(Paxil and Prozac do the same thing) It was also found to have put people in psychotic episodes where they would actually do bodily harm to themselves or to someone and in a few cases they actually killed somone. One man killed his wife of 50 years. I was shocked and in total panic after reading the information. It was so scarey that I was in tears. All I could think of was the damages that were done to me and to others.

In a hearing and depostion that was taken by attorneys for a lawsuit the one maunfacturer stated that this Zoloft caused side effects of depression, along with Prozac and Paxil. He also admitted that this was information that was not given out to most doctors only that it was a miracle drug for depression. That it is not uncommon to not disclose all the information or side effects to a doctors office when they go there to peddle their wares. The man admitted that alot of this information is not even given to the drug reps themselves. Some are and some aren't. If a drug shows it may help numerous patients in another area besides depression they then would put that infomation into the doctors hands in hopes of it being used more frequently.

This is the case of Topamax. It is a seizure drug not one for pain or for Fibromyalgia. It is not for panic attacks or for brain fogs/whiteouts or memory loss. Some people have had success with this medicine for some of these problems but it is not FDA approved and the FDA is going after the pharmacutical companies more and more each day.

Another example is the one release recently that they are now using the nicotine patch, in test studies, in a lower dosage to help aliviate short term memory loss and are testing it with older patients for alzheimers disease. This was public knowledge on one of the news sites that I get mail from. I was shocked. Can you imagine giving up smoking for your health and the being told to use a nicotine patch for your memory problem??? Granted it is not in your lungs just the bloodstream but it is still another poison.

On Feb 2, 2004 the FDA is having hearings concerning the handling of these medications and the distribution of it to children and teenagers. The suicide rate is up on these meds from this age group. You have to figure if it can do it to a child or teen it can also do it to an adult. I am anxious to see what they find and how much real damage these meds are. It is so easy for them to just hand them out that sometimes they don't research the meds first. Look at how they are doing it to kids today with ADHD. They give them Ritalin just because a parent asked for it because the child is disruptive at times in school or at home. They do it so they kids are passive and just sit and do nothing, turning them into zombies.

Okay I have said enough. I am sure if you research these meds you will find alot more information on them. Good luck and God Bless.

I have taken prozac for many years and have had no serious side effects. Prozac, like Zoloft, raises your serotonin level which treats depression.

When i first started taking prozac, it became a joke between my doc and me. When i would see him, he would ask me "have you killed anysone today?"

Side effects do vary , because we all react to drugs in a different way.

One thing that contributes to having side effects is taking higher doses. It looks like your doctors got carried away in increasing your doses. I have taken the same dose for many years. Just my opinion.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #3

2manypills HB User

i took zoloft for 3 years for ocd,i didnt have any problems,it really helped.sometimes people get to worried about the side effects or a few extreme cases,patients will always have to wiegh the benifets to the potential side effects.i tapered off zoloft about 4 months ago and have been taking xanax if i become really stressed.hope things work out

Old 01-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Inactive

tzty HB User

Bruce....the highest I was ever on was 25 mg.....but I just went off of it and that was that. I am doing well on Effexor XR right now. I react to so many meds I just hate the thought of any of them. I don't usually get the common reacions, I get the extremely rare ones.....love to be different the doc told me...LOL...but I read and I try....I never shoot meds down till I find how I react to it.....no reaction to Zoloft only worse depression.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

I have been on Zoloft for 4 years and have had no negative side effects(except for when I came off it). I thought your article on the dangers of Zoloft quite interesting considering I recently switched from Effexor XR back to Zoloft for similar reasons. The stuff I read about Effexor was pretty much the same as what you said about the Zoloft. I don't think any of these drugs are "safe" to take. There are people who benefit greatly from them, me being one of them. I personally like Zoloft-it is my wonderdrug(so far), I hated Effexor, yet you seem to be doing well with it.
Doctors are too eager to hand this stuff out and I believe there are probably people who shouldn't be on them period. However, It helped me through a very hard time, so I am glad I took it. As far as the nicotine patch goes, I haven't heard anything about that yet but its interesting. I think people with alzheimers disease or severe short term memory loss wouldn't mind taking it. How is it different from any other drug we put in our body. None of these drugs are good for us even though we may need them to live.
Anyway, just my view on things.
night all

Old 02-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #6

bowiefan_86 HB User

I found that effexor was a million times worse than the Zoloft

Old 02-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
Inactive

tzty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowiefan_86
I found that effexor was a million times worse than the Zoloft
I agree with you...so I take neither any longer.....<^..^>

Old 03-19-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
I have been on Zoloft for 4 years and have had no negative side effects(except for when I came off it). I thought your article on the dangers of Zoloft quite interesting considering I recently switched from Effexor XR back to Zoloft for similar reasons. The stuff I read about Effexor was pretty much the same as what you said about the Zoloft. I don't think any of these drugs are "safe" to take. There are people who benefit greatly from them, me being one of them. I personally like Zoloft-it is my wonderdrug(so far), I hated Effexor, yet you seem to be doing well with it.
Doctors are too eager to hand this stuff out and I believe there are probably people who shouldn't be on them period. However, It helped me through a very hard time, so I am glad I took it. As far as the nicotine patch goes, I haven't heard anything about that yet but its interesting. I think people with alzheimers disease or severe short term memory loss wouldn't mind taking it. How is it different from any other drug we put in our body. None of these drugs are good for us even though we may need them to live.
Anyway, just my view on things.
night all

No kidding, the drug company is way too eager to place these drugs into the hands of ignorant Drs to hand out like candy to their patients. afterall we as patients sometimes need to take certain drugs. If the patient likes the sample then he/she will want a prescription and the money keeps flowing into the greedy pharmacuetical CEO pockets.

Last edited by NancyH; 03-19-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
I have been on Zoloft for 4 years and have had no negative side effects(except for when I came off it)... There are people who benefit greatly from them, me being one of them. I personally like Zoloft-it is my wonderdrug(so far)...
Zoloft has been a wonder drug for me, too.

One of the Columbia astronauts (Rick Husband, I believe) was quoted in US News & World Report as having said to his wife prior to his mission and ultimate demise that if anything happened to him during the flight, she should seek out the people who built the spacecraft and THANK them because he died doing what he loved.

That's my feeling about Zoloft. If I die from complications from having taken Zoloft for a number of years, I want my husband to thank Pfizer, Inc and anyone else involved in it's development. Not because I died doing something I loved, but because I had so many good years on it. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I'm sure I would not have lived this long without it.

For those whose depressions aren't so severe, perhaps it isn't worth the risk. For me, it's well worth the risk...

Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 AM   #10

Tanki HB User

I have to disagree with you on this. I was on zoloft for 7 years and it worked for me up until recently. You cannot believe everything you read and what you said about it being dangerous is untrue in a sense. Yes you can have sevre side effects but it's very very uncommon and very unlikely but that is like any drug.

I just had to throw my 2 cents in, Zoloft is not a dangerous anti-depressants, it may not be good to take if you are on other medications but other then that I just have to disagree with this one.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Exclamation Re: Dangers of Zoloft

DID YOU KNOW SSRI MEDS FRIE UP BRAIN CELLS?

The book Prozac Backlash was a great book about the DANGERS of SSRI meds.

When your brain cells are affected by SSRI, they start to fire more serotonin, and the re-uptake channel is blocked by the SSRI. So you have more serotonin in the synapse, so the receiving neuron could receive more serotonin. BUT serotonin is oxidized in the body easily. So when the immune system sees your brain cells are over firing and re-uptake channel is blocked, your immune system will kill the brain cell assuming its defective.

I personally believe that no psychiatric drug is safe. DRUGS like ZOLOFT are stimulants...

So read the book Prozac Backlash!

Last edited by Just-A-Boy; 04-02-2004 at 10:53 PM.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:18 AM   #12

Tanki HB User

everyone has their opinions, I tend to disagree, but if someone feels that medication is wrong, then just don't go on it. Meds have helped me personally and I am very very healthy, so I will have to disagree with this.

Also everything in this world kills you , and helps you live so there is no difference in my opinon with medications. If it was that dangerous they would take them off of the shelves like they have with other medications.

But everyone has their opinon on this subject.. and that's fine, I just disagree with it.

The news and stuff isn't always right with stories like this. A well known doctor for example in 2003 retracted his story about extacy killing people or causing severe brain damage ect, he said that he injected monkeys with this drug and it caused them brain damage but when he actually injected into the monkey was Meth, and that is a big OOPS...

So it just goes to show, that not all people are correct on this subject...

Just wanted to say that.. Doesn't bother me either way, if it works for you it does, if not then it doesn't..

Old 04-03-2004, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Exclamation Re: Dangers of Zoloft

First of all... Good For You!

I didnt mean to offend anyone, and obviously what I have read is what I am stating, so dont attack me... attack the scientists who come up with the results of the studies.

I been on Zoloft too... so I know how it could help the person and such, but I believed deeply in my self that I could go on with out the drug and I did because I was strong and had support. I found herbs like KAVA KAVA be more effective than Zoloft and found better alternatives.

and please dont take this soooo seriously.

Thanks!

Last edited by Just-A-Boy; 04-03-2004 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #14
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

I can't remember what I saw it on but the Dr stated that we should avoid anything with Kava in it-it was part of 'the dirty dozen'(12 substances to avoid-even if they say it 'natural'). Does anyone else know anything about this?

Old 04-04-2004, 06:35 PM   #15

Tanki HB User

Oh by all means I was not knocking what you are saying, There are alot of things what I mean that doctors and scientists are retracting because it isn't true.

Be careful of the herbal drugs, they are actually saying now it can do more harm then good with depression ect... They are actually taking alot of herbal medicines off the shelves..

Closed Thread