HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Drug Interactions / Side Effects (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/drug-interactions-side-effects/)
-   -   Lexapro and OTC Pain Meds (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/drug-interactions-side-effects/181974-lexapro-otc-pain-meds.html)

Stcy 06-13-2004 11:52 AM

Lexapro and OTC Pain Meds

I am currently taking 15mg of Lexapro. I wondering what I can take for pain relief? I seem to be getting alot of headaches and am not sure what meds to take. I use to take Ibuprofen all the time but have heard that I should not take that with the Lexapro because it has a higher chance of stomach bleeding. I also heard that my best bet is Tylenol cause it goes with anything - the thing about that is Tylenol really doesnt do much for my headaches. However if its all I can take thats fine. I have severe anxiety also so I dont want to have to worry when I take a med .. thats why I dont take the ibuprofen - I took it one night and it kinda helped but I just worried about it the whole time so I donno if it was worth it or not. Any suggestions would be really helpful. THANK YOU! :wave:

bearboy 06-14-2004 08:55 AM

Re: Lexapro and OTC Pain Meds

tylenol, or naproxen you need a rx for that, but its very cheap and works great on headaches..i take that or a fioricet for my headaches....er..i also take lexapro 40mg

Ulmo 06-14-2004 09:38 AM

Actually, naproxen 220mg can be bought over the counter (better known as Aleve). However, if you're trying to avoid ibuprofen because of stomach concerns, you should stay away from naproxen for the same reasons - they are very similar, they work in the same manner. You should also stay away from ketoprofen, as it too has the same effect (available over the counter as Orudis KT).

Though aspirin is similar to ibuprofen and naproxen, it hasn't proved to interact with escitalopram (Lexapro) the way the others do. You could try taking aspirin, Tylenol, Excedrin (Tylenol + aspirin + caffiene), or Percogesic (Tylenol + phenyltoloxamine). What sort of headaches do you have? Are they tension headaches? Migraines? If so, you can ask your doctor about prescription strength headache relievers like Maxalt and Fioricet.

Stcy 06-14-2004 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=Ulmo]Actually, naproxen 220mg can be bought over the counter (better known as Aleve). However, if you're trying to avoid ibuprofen because of stomach concerns, you should stay away from naproxen for the same reasons - they are very similar, they work in the same manner. You should also stay away from ketoprofen, as it too has the same effect (available over the counter as Orudis KT).

Though aspirin is similar to ibuprofen and naproxen, it hasn't proved to interact with escitalopram (Lexapro) the way the others do. You could try taking aspirin, Tylenol, Excedrin (Tylenol + aspirin + caffiene), or Percogesic (Tylenol + phenyltoloxamine). What sort of headaches do you have? Are they tension headaches? Migraines? If so, you can ask your doctor about prescription strength headache relievers like Maxalt and Fioricet.[/QUOTE]

My headaches are all the above -- but right now I think the worst headache I am getting is just a headache thats a side effect of my meds (Lexapro). So it varies where the headache is .. sometimes on my left side of my head .. sometimes on the right. I think Tylenol is my best bet??! :confused:

tessesa 06-21-2004 05:40 PM

Stcy- How do you know the headaches are from the Lexapro? I have been taking lexapro 20mg for 3 months now and have had only one headache, but MAN WAS IT A HEADACHE! I tried everything and ended up taking a vicodin to get rid of the pain. Besides that I think Lexapro has worked well. I don't lay awake at night thinking of dumb things to worry about and I stopped my obsessive counting of things in my mind at night. I was wondering if anyone else has this type of anxiety that comes on at night? :confused:

pufnstuf77 07-23-2004 11:44 PM

vikes make headache pain worse!