It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Doxycycline & REACTIONS

This is to warn anyone prescribed doxycycline in the summer to stay out of the sun. IT is highly photosensitive. I just returned from the ER (4 hours there) to get treated for that same thing.
Two days after starting it, my hands became tingly, then my feet, then they started to feel hot, then burning, like they were in flames. Today on our boat, the sun felt like it was 100 degrees on my skin, I moved to the shade & it didn't get any better other than the sun wasn't feeling like it was burning my skin off.

My face was flushed, not sunburnt but flushed red, my forehead & my toes had dark red swelling on the tops of them. My skin on my toes & hands burnt like an open wound if I itched them & if they brushed up against anything.

The ER doc said usually doctors do NOT prescribe doxycycline in the summer for that reason, he even said you can get the reaction even from sun coming thru a window in your house.

Hope this helps someone else & prevents them a trip to the ER this summer.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #2

happyhelper HB User
Re: Doxycycline & REACTIONS

WOW. Your reactions match mine EXACTLY. I was prescribed doxycycline last weekend and a couple days later I went to the beach. Thank GOD I wasn't there longer than two hours because my reaction was bad enough. My hands and feet were tingling and felt like they were on FIRE. I couldn't believe it. It lasted that night and the next day, but today is better. I was warned about the sun, but not to this degree.

Thank you for sharing your situation... I stumbled into this board by accident!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Happyhelper, did you go off the doxy? The ER doc took me off it right away. It took almost 10 days for my toes to get back to normal & the sun still seems hot on them, but at least the redness is gone & the swelling, my toes were the worst. Glad you got out of the sun too. They really should put a warning on the label for it, as a lot of meds say photosensitive & i've never reacted to one of them & since the ER doc said doxy is the worst, there should be a warning on the label. imo.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:18 AM   #4
Inactive

zandy HB User

If you go to a search engine and type in doxy..you will come up with several medical sites that list info on that medication, and yes, they do have a warning on them for photosensitivity..Doc's don't tell us all that needs to be known on meds, so it's up to us to educate ourselves about the adverse reactions..

Also, my pharmacey gives me a med sheet with my meds, that explains all the adverse reactions of the particular medication, photosentivities included. Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:38 AM   #5

happyhelper HB User

Mine had a warning sticker on it, but just like lorij, I have been on other antibiotics that warned about the sun and I was fine. I didn't go off it but my last dose is today. My skin infection isn't even gone, so I at least want to be able to say that I finished the doxy. I don't have any more tingling... like I said, it only lasted a couple days and my hands were the worst. I didn't have as bad of a reaction as you, lorij- nothing swelled or reddened. Anyway, I was just happy to get out of the sun when I did.

What medication did the ER doc prescribe for you instead, just out of curiosity?

Old 07-03-2004, 01:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhelper
Mine had a warning sticker on it, but just like lorij, I have been on other antibiotics that warned about the sun and I was fine. I didn't go off it but my last dose is today. My skin infection isn't even gone, so I at least want to be able to say that I finished the doxy. I don't have any more tingling... like I said, it only lasted a couple days and my hands were the worst. I didn't have as bad of a reaction as you, lorij- nothing swelled or reddened. Anyway, I was just happy to get out of the sun when I did.

What medication did the ER doc prescribe for you instead, just out of curiosity?
I was put on levaquin & taken off the doxy. The ER doc said that not only sun, but heat can bring on the reaction, since I was not in the sun the second day that I was on it, but already had the tingling in my hands & feet. He said I was probably allergic to it besides the photosensitivity reaction from the sun! My pharmacist also agreed & flagged doxy in my file.

Closed Thread