It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User
taking zoloft...if I take a valium will it hurt me?

I'm taking 150mg of zoloft a day...my friend just gave me 10mg of Valium...if I took the valium will it have any bad effects with the zoloft?? Or will it make the valium cause different feelings then it usually would normally without the zoloft? Thanks

Larkin

Old 07-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

dlamb7877 HB User
Re: taking zoloft...if I take a valium will it hurt me?

If you are already taking Zoloff, why would you need Valium. Please be very careful about taking anything not prescribed by a doctor. It's just common sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User

I have a fear of flying and zoloft isn't doing anything for my anxiety...so I was going to take the valium but I wanted to make sure that nothing freaky would happen if I mixed valium with zoloft.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
(female)

georgiehopper HB User

I take zoloft too.... and if I have occasional anxiety...like at the doctor's office..I take xanax.

Best thing for you to do though, is ask your pharmacist.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User

ok I'll ask but do you feel any oddities when u take a xanax since u are on zoloft...or does it feel like xanax usually does w/out zoloft...I'm just afraid that valium will effect me differently than how it usually effects other people.

Old 07-30-2004, 02:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I take a mere 50 mg of zoloft, only at bedtime though. I recently had some ingrown toenails removed and the doc gave me a valium to help ease my GAD. I had no problems. BUT, as always talk to your doctor as people don't always react the same.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I checked on a drug interaction site and it says the only interaction is if you drink alcohol with the valium.

Last edited by tinavamp; 07-30-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I take zoloft and when I have high anxiety I take my xanax, it gives me a calmer interior and little bit more drowsy, if you are flying go for it, I do and it helps and besides you aren't driving and if you can handle a more lethargic feeling for a few extra hours taking them both (I take them a half hour apart)then go ahead. My pharmacist say they are ok together don't know about valium but it is on the same line.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #9

alliemay HB User

i used to be prescribed zoloft and clonazapam together which is a kind of valium

Old 09-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #10

shannybananny68 HB User

Of course it's always wise to check with your doctor or pharmacist, but taking benzodiazapines with ssri's is very common and sometimes even necessary. If you're anxious about flying, then by all means take the valium, just don't make a habit of it because it is a depressant and depressants can negate the effects of antidepressants! Good luck on your flight!

Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #11

Danielle895 HB User

youre even nervous about taking the valium! look it up valium online and its drug interactions.
I dont notice the 50mg of zoloft doing anything, Ive been taking it for almsot two weeks. Do you feel less depressed since you've been taking it?

Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

You must consult your doc or your pharmacist. Plus if this med is not prescribed for you...legally you are not to take another persons meds. Could you imagine if something like an adverse reaction happened to you--your friend would legally be held responsible. Yikes. Talk to your doc, get yourself a prescription if you need one. But dont take someone elses drugs.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Zoloft and Valium are fine together. And Valium is Not a depressant, it's an anxiolitic which fills benzo receptors in your body and relaxes you. They are commonly prescribed together. As stated above, you do want to be careful taking someone elses medication, especially a controlled substance. Just be careful, but rarely do people have side effects from Valium, and you shouldn't fret about it.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 AM   #14

opiateskill000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiiGal
ok I'll ask but do you feel any oddities when u take a xanax since u are on zoloft...or does it feel like xanax usually does w/out zoloft...I'm just afraid that valium will effect me differently than how it usually effects other people.
Well, I'm pretty confident that you CAN theoretically combine SSRI's with benzo's. It seems like you've already made up your mind about doing this so I won't bother to lecture you. You might want to talk to A (not necessarily "your") psychiatrist to make sure. It's up to you.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:10 AM   #15

opiateskill000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerDad
Zoloft and Valium are fine together. And Valium is Not a depressant, it's an anxiolitic which fills benzo receptors in your body and relaxes you. They are commonly prescribed together. As stated above, you do want to be careful taking someone elses medication, especially a controlled substance. Just be careful, but rarely do people have side effects from Valium, and you shouldn't fret about it.
Anxiolotics are depressants. The two terms don't conflict, they coincide. A depressant is a drug that slows down Central Nervous System activity, and anxioloitics do that.

Closed Thread