It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

quest4health HB User
Clonazepam and Lorazepam,bad mix?

My doctor has me on Clonazepam and Lorazepam at the same time and a long time,approx. 2 years. I feel like crap, no energy,can't sleep properly,i get headaches everyday and i have this "foggy" feeling in my head everyday. I'm just wondering if this combination is healthy to take? He has tested me for so many different ailments and everytime he says I'm normal but this feeling wont go away. Any comments would sure be welcome.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #2

cmmm47 HB User
Re: Clonazepam and Lorazepam,bad mix?

Clonazepam and Lorazepam are both in the same chemical family called benzodiazepines. They may make you sleepy- be careful driving or operating machinery because these can cause an accident as sure as liquor can. They can interfere with memory and cause difficulty standing on one foot. They can also cause a stuporous drunk walk. The good thing about Lorazepam is that it only stays in the body a short period of time. Clonazepam is also an anti-anxiety agent (often used in bipolar for anxiety). Both these drugs carry the chance of addiction in some people. Many people use them for years and the effect doesnt wear off. If you have had a problem with alcoholism or drug abuse then they may not be the best drugs for you. Its recommended that you dont drink alcohol with either of these drugs. Apparently your
doctor is treating you for anxiety. Have you talked over the idea of going into psychotherapy? This can be very helpful if you suffer from anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 07:20 AM   #3

opiateskill000 HB User
Re: Clonazepam and Lorazepam,bad mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4health
My doctor has me on Clonazepam and Lorazepam at the same time and a long time,approx. 2 years. I feel like crap, no energy,can't sleep properly,i get headaches everyday and i have this "foggy" feeling in my head everyday. I'm just wondering if this combination is healthy to take? He has tested me for so many different ailments and everytime he says I'm normal but this feeling wont go away. Any comments would sure be welcome.
Thanks
They're both anxiolotics, so I don't know why you're taking two different meds from the same class. Also, two years is a long time to be taking these addictive substances. Have you had to continually increase the doses to achieve the desired effect? Whatever you do, DON'T STOP TAKING THEM. I've read that stopping cold turkey (depending on your daily doses) can cause fatal seizures. Obviously, these drugs are making you feel too drowsy and unproductive, and it seems to me that you want to stop taking them. I'd talk to your psychiatrist about a tapering schedule (normally, they switch you to Valium, or diazepam, but I don't know if the Valium would be even stronger than what you're taking now). While you're getting off, get into therapy and find more natural ways to cope with your anxiety. Most importantly, be honest and firm with your doctor about how you feel and what you want.

Closed Thread