It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Taking medications to treat both Adult ADD and Depression/OCD/Anxiety

I am taking medication to treat both Depression/OCD/Anxiety and Adult ADD.
They seemed to be working together okay, but my uncontrollable behaviors were only slightly under control. Mainly I was just aware of it as I did it.
So the doctor increased dosages.
The effect was to make me more OCD & anxious & ADD, as well as depressed.
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience, and especially someone who resolved it.

An exampleof how this drug coctail worked on me:
I planned to go to the post office on my day off, and do some other errands if I had time.
I was pretty much ready to leave at 2:30pm.
But at 5pm I still hadn't left because I was downloading something to put on my new DVDR drive, so I could make the burning of my "test" DVD worthwhile, so I could be sure I was keeping it, so I could send in the forms for the $20 rebate for the DVD before the necessary post-marked-by date (the very next day). I was also doing laundry and other things that all seemed necessary before I could go to the post office. And I changed clothes countless times. The P.O. closed before I could get there. And the whole time I knew what I was doing was not what I really wanted to do, but I couldn't stop. I had less control than before I started trying medication.

But going back to the way I was previously is not okay either, because my job is hinging on the ability of these drugs and therapy to make me into someone who "acts professionally" in the eyes of my boss.

In the last 6 months or so I tried 2 psychiatrists and a general practitioner (who sent me to the second psychiatrist).
They tried me on:
Lexapro (cheered me up amazingly, but gave me extreme muscle clenching)

Remeron (mirtazapine) (took only one. lost complete control of my body and fell asleep)

Paxil. Didn't do much of anything except make me very tired all the time.

Then Zoloft & the Strattera, which made me very jiggly (foot, leg) and gave me hand tremors and made me sleepy but unable to make myself go to bed before 5am (something I've never done before in my 51 years). No wonder I was sleepy at work at 9am.

So the doctor gave me Trazadone to take at night so I couldn't fight the sleep (but I keep putting off taking the Trazadone because there was always something I needed to get done first), and Mirapex to stop the tremors and clenching (didn't work). At the same time, he increased the Zoloft and Strattera.

That's when I went postal instead of going to the Post Office.
The psychiatrist couldn't believe that I got worse with the increase.
Finally, I convinced him with my postal anecdote, abetted by my theory that the Strattera, instead of making me able to focus, was super-charging thoughts so they could tobaggan ride down all the deep grooves warn in my 50-year-old brain by my OCD over the years. And the Zoloft was just making me not care about focusing on any one task. Not sure why it made me hyper. At 2:30am I was Windexing fingerprints of my daughter's bedroom door.

This is really not working. And I can't afford to lose my job.

So has anyone had experiences like this with mixing drugs for different psychological disorders?

Last edited by seriousperson; 01-08-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
(female)

crazymama HB User
Unhappy Re: Taking medications to treat both Adult ADD and Depression/OCD/Anxiety

I wish I had some advice, but I actually came to the site to get my own! I am having similar (yet different) problems.

I have mild OCD (enough to be annoying and slow me down, but not disabling). I also have Adult ADD. I was unable to start any medications for these conditions until I was done having children. About 1 1/2 years ago I finally went to a psychiatrist and the nightmare began.

I have been on Zoloft from the very beginning. It has been increased so that I am currently taking 200mg daily. This is to treat my OCD. For the ADD the Dr. put me on Adderall (Metadate didn't work). It was great at first, but then my body slowly started adjusting to the levels and it had to keep being increased. I am currently on the highest dose possible (60mg) per day. The Dr. also put me on Strattera and I am currently at 160mg per day. I tried coming off of the Adderall, but could not even get out of bed.

I currently have 2 major problems. 1. Although I have noticed some minor improvements (regarding the OCD, the only improvement I have noticed (just like seriousperson) is that I am now aware of what I am doing and that I shouldn't be doing it, but still have no control over the compulsions) but not enough to really make life much easier. To say this is frustrating would be a severe understatement. The Dr's response? "You have the worst case of ADD I have ever seen...some people, with medication, may improve say 70%, you will have to be content with improving about 30%". This is not acceptable. 2. Since being on the Zoloft, I have been having mild depression symptoms (the reason for the increases in dosage). I never had a problem with depression in the past but thought "maybe I just never knew I was mildly depressed". Over the past year, these depression symptoms have increased to the point of being severe and disabling. Of course I researched Zoloft and found that, while not actually tested to show causally related, there is evidence that some people have an increase in symptoms or start having symptoms that never presented in the past. I decided it would be best to get off the Zoloft...since my OCD is something I can deal with on my own, and depression was not the reason for treatment, this seemed the logical conclusion. I went to the Dr. yesterday with my request. Instead of allowing me to wean off the Zoloft (something he strongly advises against) he gave me yet another medication to take. Wellbutrin, 300mg/day. The Zoloft is just not strong enough for the depression and the Wellbutrin will help in different areas.

So, I am now taking 9 pills a day and seem to have more problems than I started with. I am tempted to just wean myself off of each medicine one by one and stop seeing the Dr. I am really regretting my decision to seek treatment for my ADD...although it did start to get worse year by year (as is common in females), at least I had adjusted to life with ADD. I can't seem to adjust to life with "treated" ADD.

So you see Seriousperson, you are not the only one out there with these prescription problems...I am beginning to think that these Dr's don't really think we have a problem (since Adult ADD is still viewed as an "excuse" even by people in the medical field) and are getting kick backs from the prescription makers. Anyone else have any comments/solutions?

Closed Thread