It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

cushing HB User
Question coumadin and aspirin

My father is on coumadin.His PCP told us 2 days ago that he should be taking an aspirin a day also.I seen all over the internet that these should not be taken together.Yesterday his INR was checked and it was 4.2 so they did not want him taking his coumadin last night.Does anyone know if this is right? Should he be taking aspirin and be taking coumadin??????????
Thanks Deb

Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: coumadin and aspirin

Not as far as I know. Maybe the baby aspirin (which I assume is what you mean for heart attacks) is OK....my mother was on coumadin and they told her not to take aspirin. I'd ask the doc to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
(male)

hoyt HB User

My mom used to take coumadin, and it makes your blood EXTREMELY thin. I wouldn't reccomend taking the 2 together because asprin also thins the blood. Please talk to a doctor.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Fathersson HB User

I have been on coumadin for a couple of years, and I also take a daily 81mg enteric coated aspirin. My doctors are fully aware of this regimen, as they prescribed it.

Aspirin and coumadin both do "thin the blood" (note this is NOT literally what they do), but in completely different ways. Coumadin interferes with vitamin K-dependent blood clotting factors. Aspirin blocks the production of thromboxane A-2 by blood platelets, so their ability to clump and form a clot is reduced.

Aspirin has no effect on the INR value (that is, INR is not a method for measuring the anti-clotting affects of aspirin, since aspirin's action is not detected in the INR measurement).

However, the overall risk of bleeding is raised when on both, then on either by themselves. That's why I take the enteric coated aspirin, to avoid irritating my stomach lining and risking bleeding from ulcerations. It's also best to have your INR checked ever 4-8 weeks (I get mine done monthly), since coumadin's affects are influenced by so many variables (eg. you should be avoiding foods high in vit. K, like broccoli, dark green leafy veggies, green tea).

A few months ago my INR (target range of 2.5-3.0) shot up to 4.7 - why? I have no idea, and neither do my doctors. We've since found that it now sits nicely at about 3.0 with a slight reduction in my total weekly coumadin dose (we changed it so that the cumalitive weekly dose is down by 5mg). It is not unusual for INR to change periodically - that's why regular INR blood tests must be done to monitor your coumadin dose. If INR is high, the standard thing to do is skip a dose or two, then go to a reduced daily dose, retest the INR in a week or two, and go from there.

Being on coumadin means constant monitoring (every 4-8 weeks) - I cannot emphasize that enough. It is a very safe and effective drug for controlling risks of clot-related problems, but it is also easily affected by diet. Regular monitoring is necessary for safe use.

Last edited by Fathersson; 05-23-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Closed Thread