It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Lunesta and drug interactions

Are there any medicines or supplements that you should not take while on Lunesta?? I am taking diflucan and thyroid meds, and a bunch of natural supplements/vitamins prescribed by my holistic doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Lunesta and drug interactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie00
Are there any medicines or supplements that you should not take while on Lunesta?? I am taking diflucan and thyroid meds, and a bunch of natural supplements/vitamins prescribed by my holistic doctor.

It's always best to discuss drug interactions with your pharmacists. Also, it's very difficult to know what interacts with vitamins or supplements as these products aren't regulated by the FDA, and don't go through the same research processes as other drugs. Sometimes with supplements, you really don't know what you're getting as there are no regulations.

According to the manufacturer of Lunesta the following drugs may interact with Lunesta: Xyrem, Zoloft, Ativan, Rifampacin, certain anti-fungal medications, and macrolide antibiotics (example: Biaxin, Erythromycin).

You also want to avoid drugs that can cause drowsiness such as antihistimines (ex: Benadryl, Zyrtec), anti-anxiety drugs (ex: Xanax, Klonopin), anti-seizure drugs (ex: Tegretol), muscle relaxants (ex: Flexeril), narcotic pain relievers (any codeine-derived drug), other sleep medications (ex: Ambien), certain psychiatric medications (ex: Elavil), and some tranquilizers. While these drugs may not chemically interact with Lunesta, they can intensify the drowsiness which can be problematic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread