It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
I'm allergic to SO MANY medications -- Is this one in the same family?

Hi everyone! I have many allergies to practically everything (all 4 seasons, animals, foods, and medications). I've been having severe back and neurological problems, and most of the medications that they've tried me on I'm allergic to (and those that I'm not allergic to do not work).

Anyway, I was prescribed diclofenac 75mg 2X daily as an anti-inflamitory because I'm now having problems with my sciatic nerve.

I'm allergic to:

Cefzil (antibiotic)
Singulair
Percocet
Tylenol #3
Codeine
Aleve
Cedax (antibiotic)
Topamax
multi-vitamins

However, I'm fine with Tylenol and Motrin.

Is the diclofenac too similar to the Aleve to use? With all of these medications (with the exception of Singulair and Topamax), I had trouble breathing, chest tightness, and chest pain. My doctor knows this and prescribed it anyway, but that's not saying much because after she knew that I was allergic to Percocet, she went on to prescribe Tylenol #3... and after an allergic reaction to that (in which I had to call 911), she prescribed CODEINE!

Please help! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
(female)

melgag21 HB User
Re: I'm allergic to SO MANY medications -- Is this one in the same family?

Diclofenac is an NSAID like Motrin and Aleve. Normally I'd say if you're ok with Motrin you should be fine with Diclofenac but since you're allergic to Aleve, you won't really know until you try it unfortunately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

This is the generic brand for Voltaren.
It is anti inflammatory (NSAID).
I was prescribed this and had an allergic reaction to it...
I have trouble with some NSAID's
Can't take Aleve, Advil, Motrin, Naproxen
I have taken Nabumetone, 500mg and 750 mg which is generic for Refalen and no allergic reaction.

You really won't know till you try it...but I would make sure you have taken the precaution if you may have a spell.

I am also soooo sensitive to drugs.....When I start a new scrip I ALWAYS have someone here and have Benadryl 50 mg to pop in my mouth just in case. I've had too many anaphalatic shocks from drugs. As soon as I feel something wrong happening in goes the Benadryl and we are ready to head out to the ER or call 911.

Last edited by countrykid; 06-13-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: more info

Old 06-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

Melissa765 HB User

Thanks girls! That's what I'm going to do; take it, but keep my inhailer and Benadryl close by.

Oh wait... One more thing: If I've already taken Allegra-D (24 hr.) this morning, will the Benadryl cause an overdose of antihistamine (sorry, sp?)?

I should mention, the medications that I'm currently taking are Allegra-D, Flovent, and Zythromax. I don't think there's any interactions, but the only one I'm worried about is the Allegra-D.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Melissa765; 06-13-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #5
(female)

countrykid HB User

I don't think you should have any problem....If you are already taken Allegra D that may help with a sudden allergic attack.....But I take Allegra...can't take any "D" allegry meds and I'll say that the attacks are not as "life" threatening as when I hadn't had to take an Allegra that day.
As far as the Benadryl that is what I have been advised to take by my Dr's in the event...I know when I have hit the ER that is the first thing I get along with alot of other things.
But as with all meds everybody's body handles them differently. You may want to check with your doctor to see if that precaution is advisable for you.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There should not be any problem. Benedryl is the "PM" in Tylenol PM and I take one every night at bedtime - even if I had a zyrtec that morning. If you have the allegra in your system you should not have as severe a reaction to something as you would if you didn't. In fact, my allergy doc has his patients take an antihistamine the morning of their injections in order to help with any possible reaction. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread