It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Unhappy Zoloft and Seizures-- PLEASE HELP!

I'm at a dead end!!!! My cardiologist started me on Zoloft for hypotension. Three weeks into this I began having seizures. Three different doctors told me it couldn't be Zoloft causing the seizures!! At four weeks they put me on a beta-blocker, because my chest pains were not diminishing. At seven weeks Depakote was added because of the seizures. I had a bad reaction! Example: I had a seizure and then went into ...I don't know what to call it. I couldn't move or talk for over eight hours!!!!!! Finally after a second visit to a emergency room a Doctor took me off all Meds. Zoloft can cause seizures he said.

So now I'm off all meds and feel awful! I tried going back on the beta-blocker and ended up in the hospital. I was on it for eight days and on the nineth my seizures kicked in full swing. I had 17 in three days. They monitored me in the hospital for seven days (EMU unit). Nothing!

I'm at a loss! Friday I took a Midal for cramps and Saturday I had eight seizures! What is wrong with me???????????????

Please, any suggestions would truely be appreciated!! Anything. Websites????

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope all is blessed in your life!

Old 02-14-2002, 03:10 AM   #2
Inactive

BeLIEve HB User
Unhappy

Geez, I'm so sorry that is happening to you. *Hugz*
Has any doctor suggested doing a CAT scan or a MRI? Did you have your EEG test done within a day of the seizure? they usually get better info right after one.

I've been on Zoloft 2 years but have been off of it several months now.Zoloft tends to stay in your system awhile, but I don't think it'd stay more than a month at most. Perhaps it's still in your system? You should ask the doctor if that is possible and is the reason your continuing to have them.

There are many reasons someone could suddenly get seizures, many of them are very serious. You need them to run more tests on you.
You never said your age range. My brother started getting them around 17 and hadn't had one his whole life prior. He's on seizure medication now and only has one a year now.

Which Beta-blocker were/are you on?
I've been on beta blockers (inderal and tenormin)
for my heart condition. On the inderal I went into deep horrible depression and my heart hurt and felt sore on the inside all the time. Tenormin side effects are much more rare and is a better drug, but that chest pain still never let up.
I quit them after finding out that beta blockers slow down your heart, kinda like a paralysis to keep it from beating so fast. That freaked me out, so I went off of it and lower caffiene and sugar intake and now my heart hardly ever causes me pain except when I'm stressed out. I know your on it for different reasons and you should never ever quit a beta blocker cold turkey.(in case the doc didn't warn you)

We are not allowed to post webpages on the boards here, So maybe try seaching for Seizure and Zoloft together. Or search for the words "seizure" and "forum" to find other people who have them too.
I usually get good results on the search engine called "google"

Sending lots of prayers your way.
Wish i could help more.

------------------
"The goal is elevation"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Exclamation

I'm 28 (soorry didn't think to add that in). I have had MRI and CAT scan done -- alls normal. The EEG(s) have never been right after a seizure, but have always come back normal. I go back into the hospital at the end of this month into the EMU unit again. I had my first seizure at work on Monday. I'm getting so depressed! I don't even recognize myself anymore. I was always the outgoing type of person, now I would rather be in the shadows unnoticed.

I have been off of Zoloft since the beginning of December. Atenenol was the beta-blocker I was taking.

Could it be that I had a borderline seizure disorder and the Zoloft pushed me over? Heck I don't know....I'm at a loss as to what to think anymore. I just know that I really want my life back!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me ramble again. Hope all is blessed your way.

[This message has been edited by Lisa T (edited 02-14-2002).]

Old 02-15-2002, 05:43 AM   #4
Inactive

BeLIEve HB User
Gee you had all those tests and still nothing?
That is totally fustrating! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Tenormin is the brand name for Atenenol, that is what I was on last that seemed to be the better drug for me.

Getting to the hospital for the EEG right after a seizure will give them the info they need,It should even limit it down to the area of the brain that the seizure is taking place.
Sometimes it seems that you have to have it happen while the machine is on before they have a clue!

I know I had that problem when they were trying to figure out what my chest pain was! I'd go to the emergancy room, they'd run the EKG and nothing!
My heart wasn't in the middle of a palpatation or pain, so the test showed nothing time after time!
Then I had a doctor try to tell me it was all in my head because the test was negative and nothing sounded out of the ordinary to him. He said I must be "hyperventalating' when this happens and to breath into a paperbag and sent me home with Motrin!
It took some insisting to get a cardiologist appointment and when I FINALLY had a echocardiogram test (ultrasound) on my heart they found the problem to my relief!

I'm not sure what it's called where your frozen and can't move seizure wise. Twice I've had something called sleep paralysis where your brain is stuck in a certain phase and your awake, but can't move or speak at all.It's only lasted a min or 2 for me though.(seems like forever) I found it very frightening, the last one I had even caused a extremly frightening hallucination!I can not begin to imagine how horrible 8 hours of this would be!

My hypothesis is your seizure caused you to stay in whatever brain state causes sleep paralysis to happen.
Mine was a brain fluke, yours was maybe damage to your brains electrical system at the time?

Try searching and reading up on "Sleep Paralysis" to see if that is like what you had when you couldn't move. Might help you to understand what your brain was doing during those eight hours.

Maybe drinking lots of water would help flush out any of the Zoloft that might be left in your system.
It could dilute any of the other meds your on though, so ask your doctor first if that's ok.
I hate it when docs keep giving more meds to cure side effects of previous drugs! Who knows what all those drugs mixed together could to do someone, especially long term.

I hope they can find what's wrong with you and soon!
God Bless *Hugz*

Closed Thread