It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
(male)

ttomm HB User
Post Snorting a Medication?

I was given a medicine called Alprazolam for Anxiety/panic attacks. My doctor said to stick it under my tongue and let it dissolve for quick results. I was wondering, if I crushed it up into a powder, and snorted it would I get the same results? Maybe quicker? Im not talking more than what he prescribed. One pill as he said. If I took it that way would it maybe kick in faster? Is this a bad idea? Lemme know. Thanks in advance. Maybe a stupid question but Im desperate for something to feel better.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:44 AM   #2

Redo71 HB User
Alprazolem is xanax. And I have tried to do it, let me tell you, its almost a waste of a pill. All that happens is it makes your nose extremly runny and its very hard to not drip the pill right back out.
Why do you want it to kick in faster? Thats like an addiction thing.
Cocaine bonds with your mucus in your nose, making it ideal to snort, almost all pills do not do that, making your nose run and wasting your time.
Why does your doctor want it to kick in faster for you anyway? Ever hear of klonopin wafers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
(male)

ttomm HB User
I had some pretty bad anxiety attacks when coming off effexor. (stopped taking it) he prescribed about ten pills in case I felt another one coming on. He said to let it absorb through my tongue, which it tastes like ****. But that way if I feel an anxiety attack it will calm me down soon. I just wanted to try to snort it to see if it would make it go faster. Oh well. What are those things you are talking about?

Old 10-02-2003, 09:09 PM   #4

Redo71 HB User
Klonopin wafers, their meant to be absorbed under your tounge without the nasty taste. Klonopin is long lasting benzo, so its like Xanax XR in a way.
And yes, dont put it under your tounge it tastes nasty, Ill never try it again, its like sucking on asprin lol.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Lost&Hopeful

Hmnn. Well, I don't recommend snorting pills. I was heavily addicted to Klonopin after taking it for 3 years (as I was suppposed to for anxiety and panic attacks!). During the last 6-8 months of taking it, the dependency was so bad that I couldn't WAIT to get it into my system fast enough. So yes, I snorted it and it did work, but listen to the rest of my story. Intravenous (IV) is the fastest route of administration (fastest way of getting it into your body), intranasal (snorting it) is the second fastest, sublingual (under your tongue) is the third fastest, and swallowing it is the fourth fastest. What you have is Xanax, and is a benzodiazepine, like Klonopin. They're quite similar, almost the same, actually. I was actually given Klonopin at the age of 13-17, told it was not addictive at all if I took it as prescribed (which I did) and had the hardest time in the entire world getting off of it. I went through SEVERE withdrawal for MONTHS ON END even after I tapered down on it. Consequently, I'm actually suing my psychiatrist. But anyway, is there anything else that is helpful for your panic/anxiety besides the benzo drugs? I know that they work OH so well, but they are soooo addictive, please believe me. And snorting in itself becomes a habit like a cigarette smoker is addicted to the nicotine in the cigarette and the holding/lighting/putting the cigarette to his/her mouth. It becomes FUN especially since you know you really aren't supposed to be doing it. Please, try something else other than benzos to control the panic. Go to extensive therapy, do everything you can but take benzos unless it's an emergency. I had SEVERE panic attacks up to 15 times a day and constant anxiety, and the benzos made it WORSE because when you get used to taking a certain dose of a benzo, you go through what's called tolerance withdrawal. Meaning, you need more and more of the drug to make it work. I know it's a prescription drug and you are under the care of a doctor and everything, but benzos are as addictive as heroin, I'm telling you. I would go through tolerance withdrawal every few months and get my severe panic/anxiety worse than ever during that period of time. Go to yahoo and type in "benzos" AND "uk" and you'll find a great website telling you all about what I'm saying. I would tell you the name of the site, but I'm afraid it's advertising and I might get banned from Healthboards. Anyway, I even INJECTED Klonopin once I needed it so badly and so quickly and ended up in the hospital and have very messed up veins in one arm from doing it ONCE. Now, also, I have to learn how to deal with life without the pills I was INNOCENTLY prescribed. I actually learned to control my panic/anxiety (a lot of it) on my own since getting off of benzos. Now, I have a problem dealing with life, though. I never had to deal with normal everyday things on those drugs, and every day stresses that seem normal to other people are HUGE to me and I don't know how to deal, so don't take a benzo unless you're dying. And when you're having panic, trust me, you aren't dying. Good luck and take good care of yourself.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
Lost&Hopeful

I didn't read that you only had 10 pills, I apologize for the lengthy story But at least you catch my drift about the dangers Hehe, good luck.

Closed Thread