It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #1

elflike HB User
Post Zoloft and Alcohol. Can you mix?

I have been taking Zoloft for about 4-5mo. now, and i have been drinking on it. My psych says it's ok to do as long as I don't drink everyday. I am a college student(just turned 21) and i'll casually drink 3-5 nights a week. I don't get trashed that often, but i will on occasion. It's also important to mention that i'm taking zoloft for anxiety not depression, and i don't drink to self medicate. I do know the difference b/c i used to do that before i got help w/ my anxiety.
It's also important to say that when i first started taking this medication i could hardly drink at all. If i would have more that four beers i would be left horribly hung over the next day, literally unabel to get out of bed. This suprised me because i have or should i say had a very high tolerance. On a few occasions in the begining, i was left VIOLENTLY vomiting for hours the next day. I almost went to the hospital on two of these occasions.
Here's my real question. I am begining to be able to drink more and more w/o puking for hours the next day. Gradually i am consuming more in one night (working back up to my old tolerance) if i want to, w/o the adverse side effefts the Zoloft used to cause. Is this bad. Am i just getting used to the drug, or is mixing these two substances harming me. Can i become dependent on the alcohol to make the Zoloft work. Is it normal for Zoloft to make you violently ill when you drink, but then after time can you get used to it. That is what appears to have happened to me.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Courtney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #2

ZFREEIN2003 HB User
Courtney,

I never had an adverse affect with drinking while on Z. I do drink about 3-4 drinks every day. I'm on 25 mgs. and slowly tapering. However, I find that I get drunk pretty quick. I think that's one of the reasons that I do continue to drink. It's ironic that my doc put me back on Z to stop the drinking. It definitely didn't help me in that regards.

ZFree

Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #3

elflike HB User
ZFREE,
Thanks for your reply. I don't have a drinking problem or anything, i just didn't know if i was causing any long term problems. I talked to my doc, and he said aside from the next day effects, i am doing no damage to my body.
good luck with your situation
Court

Old 09-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #4

Gryffin HB User
I have read in two different books that AD's, Zoloft in particular, can affect your "desire" for alcohol. And with increased consumption may come increased tolerance.

I am a case in point. Before Zoloft I had wine on weekends with dinner. Throughout the 11 years on Zoloft (many years at 200mg dose) I steadily increased the amount and frequency. Craved my "cocktail hour", and proceeded to sip wine till bedtime.

I managed to quit drinking a few months before beginning to taper off Z. It was VERY hard to stop.
Actually as my dose diminished, so did my craving for alcohol. It got easier and easier to stay sober.

Maybe it's a correlation, maybe not --- but be careful! Since both alcohol and Z are hard on the liver, might pay to keep the volume down : ))

YMMV

Gryffin

Old 09-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #5

2001Flushes HB User
I don't really have an answer except that I think mixing alcohol with any medication is a bad thing.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #6
Inactive

sjg2752 HB User
I think anyone who drinks with any of those drugs is just asking for trouble. These aren't M&M's your consuming. You people have Drs. far different from any I've heard of! Telling you ,that it's alright to drink with this stuff.Common sense would tell you not to. Don't you research any of these drugs? I'm not talking through my hat.I'm 52 years old,and have been on antidepressants for a lot of years including Zoloft! And not one Dr. I have had ever told me I could drink with them. Infact I was told not to drink with them,and I read the warning slips from the drug store when I had them filled. Not to mention all the stickers they put on the prescription bottles, that say not to drink with them.

I know you are going to do as you want.You are only human.But If you continue.I'm sure you'll wish you hadn't Good Luck!!!

[This message has been edited by sjg2752 (edited 10-03-2003).]

Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
(female)

Krissy612 HB User
Re: Zoloft and Alcohol. Can you mix?

I've been taking Z for a few months now... and I drink just about everyday.
I've never had a problem with it. I can drink just as much now as I ever could before and I don't get hang overs. My shrink wanted me to ask my dr. about drinking with Z and she said as long as I'm not getting drunk or noticing any side effects I should be fine.
All though she did advise me to no get drunk every night.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
(female)

hbchick22 HB User

HI Courtney I was just wondering how the zoloft and drinking was going? Also has the zoloft helped your anxiety? What dose are you on? I also just turned 21 and started having bad anxiety and little attacks for the first time and I was put on zoloft. I am a college student and have been afraid of drinking since I started zoloft because of what ive heard and I want to get back to how I was before. I have had a drink but I get scared its so weird. Anyways I would just like to know more about your situation. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

It is not recommended at all to mix the two. Zoloft is an "upper" and alcohol is a "downer", so it would seem that the two would not mix well. If you are taking Zoloft it is not a good idea to use alcohol.

It should say right on the pill bottle about things to avoid, side effects, etc. I hope you can understand it may be dangerous.

Hope you are feeling better. Please take care.

Closed Thread