It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 10:24 AM   #1

Ni HB User
Post Zoloft, Xanax, Marijuana

My boyfriend is on 100mg Zoloft, and has also been perscribed Xanax. He also smokes pot. Not a regular basis but in large amounts when he does. He has little to no sex drive and seems to self medicate with the Xanax when he cant sleep. All of this worries me. I'm not sure why he was on all of this in the first place but I feel that xanax and zoloft is kind of overkill. I also know that the added marijuana is probably increasing his anxiety when it interacts with the zoloft. Can someone please let me know if the zoloft + xanax combo is ok and on how to approach the topic that i think his drugs all need to be reavaluated.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #2

DrEinstein22 HB User
Hey,
How old is he? Zoloft is an SSRI(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and Xanax(alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine(anti-anxiety). 100 milligrams is a moderate amount of Zoloft, how many milligrams of xanax does he take? How often? Pot is considered a part of the hallucinatory drugs, but its effects(as well as most drugs) depend on the amount used daily, abuse, age, etc. Does he smoke alot?

Zoloft and Xanax is not a bad mix. Neither is Zoloft, Xanax and weed. But this is speaking it unabusive terms. If he does this to chill out every now and then, and if he suffers from GAD OR SAD OR Depression, the guy rightfully deserves too. But taking Xanax to sleep is not a smart plan, it works great(when used passed 1.0 mg or higher), but continued use leads to physiological addiction- his body will begin to get used to falling asleep with Xanax(this is with continued use of daily adminstration of the drug for sometime). Xanax effects GABA neurotransmitters and if abruptly stopped can cause withdrawal symptoms. This also has occurs with heavy milligrams of the drug.

Do not get my wrong and think that I am saying he is addicted or abusing the drugs. People who don't use drugs are going to tell you not to use any drugs and all the negative things about them(without any empirical knowledge- through experience). But beware of others who are in love with drugs and tell you grandoise things about them. Just try to learn something from each.

Just keep an eye out on him though- if you see it is starting to have dentrimental effects, thats when you have to start to research and come up with effective plans. Do not worry or panic, it will not help at all, rationality is key.

hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #3

rotarypowered HB User
Thumbs down Re: Zoloft, Xanax, Marijuana

in my experiences, weed and xanax make my anxiety worse!

Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #4

everytingcool HB User
Re: Zoloft, Xanax, Marijuana

I take zoloft and xanax occasionally. The zoloft makes your sex drive go down. the xanax for sleeping is normal, if it's not every night.

Closed Thread