It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

RokStar HB User
Prednisone and alcohol

I'm on a low dose of prednisone (7.5mg) because of an endocrine disorder. I have heard that alcohol causes problems when used with prednisone. I am turning 21 soon and I want see if it's ok to drink small amounts since I'm on such a low dose.

Also, I take Cymbalta, Levothroid and Necon. I have never heard of any interactions with these but if anyone knows of any bad reactions from alcohol with these drugs, please let me know.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Prednisone and alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokStar View Post
I'm on a low dose of prednisone (7.5mg) because of an endocrine disorder. I have heard that alcohol causes problems when used with prednisone. I am turning 21 soon and I want see if it's ok to drink small amounts since I'm on such a low dose.

Also, I take Cymbalta, Levothroid and Necon. I have never heard of any interactions with these but if anyone knows of any bad reactions from alcohol with these drugs, please let me know.

It's not a good idea to drink with prednisone as both prednisone and alcohol are very hard on your liver. While a few drinks are unlikely to cause any major damage, it's still a risk.

It's also unadvised to take Cymbalta and alcohol. Many people drink when taking SSRI's, but again, it's not a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it without first talking to your prescribing physician.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

Joodee123 HB User

I have been on prednisone for a few days. I drank wine last night with dinner. I was up till 4am throwing up and having the shakes, heart palpitations. ...there 's your answer! I don't think it's a good idea to drink alcohol with any meds.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
(male)

MojoHannaH HB User

Drank 7 beers and 3 shots of Vodka....non ill effects here...
moderation ppl :-)
seriously....40mg of Pred a day...no side effects after the quaff ! wanna have a few, don't freak aboot it....

Last edited by MojoHannaH; 01-21-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joodee123 View Post
I have been on prednisone for a few days. I drank wine last night with dinner. I was up till 4am throwing up and having the shakes, heart palpitations. ...there 's your answer! I don't think it's a good idea to drink alcohol with any meds.
Hello, Can I ask your dosage? I was just put on 4mg of methylprednisone....so afraid of side effects of any sort.
Are they likely at this dosage??

THANKS!

Closed Thread