It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
(male)

gwf115 HB User
Re: xanax vs. valuim????what is the difference?

Heya

My Psychiatrist told me that the half life of 1 mg pill of Klonopin is equal to 10 mg Valium pills. I researched the net, and found in multiple places that taking 1 mg of Klonopin is like taking 4 5mg Valium. I was taking 3 5mg Valium a day for "muscle spasms," but rather, i took all three at night to sleep, and it didn't help. Plus, I was having vivid nightmares. I checked myself into a behavioral hospital, diagnosed with Nightmare Disorder, and put on Klonopin 1mg instantly. He still had me taking Valium, one at 9 am and one at bedtime with the klonopin. I refused to take the morning valium because it made me feel awful. I asked him if instead of the two valium a day i could just take 2 mg of Klonopin, and he said that it was too high of a dosage, and gave me 30 mg of restorill with the klonopin. I went to my Primary doctor (who isn't greedy with controlled pills, if you know what i mean) three days ago, and asked for 2 mg of Klonopin. He gives me high dosages of pain meds (that i REALLY need), without a wink, but he looked shocked when i asked for more klonopin. He agreed, but took away ALL of my restoril and Valium.

So Klonopin is great, but it is STRONG and you can develop dependence and addiction.

Hope i've helped

gwf

Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I read that the half life for klonopin is 18 -50 hours and the half life for valium is 20 - 100 hours. Also klonopin 0.5 = 10mg valium so the valium is not as strong as the klonopin but lasts longer. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
(male)

BmoresFinest HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Bmoresfinest**** wishing youthe best through your detox. my husband went off fentynal patches a few months back. the dr. wanted to do it in patient an dhe refused. he was sorry he didn't. too about 2 full weeks using another drug to wean him. went through the couldn't sleep, couldn't stay awake, hallucinactions and just feeling weird. he would ahve been alot more comfortable in the hospital. Prayers are with you. good luck.

ICC
Thanks for the support

Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #19
(male)

BmoresFinest HB User

Only drug that ever felt like it worked for me was Valuim and that only lasted about a month and then it stopped.. The klinopin didnt work I was on .05 mgs and the 1 mg of xanax doesnt help either seems like I just take it to take it.. wish I knew of a way to help with me worrying and my anxiety none of these drugs help.. I also was on trileptal with these meds that drug didnt help either and I tryed paxil, celexa, prozac, effexor and a few others also for my depression nothing works seems as if im stuck and will never find a drug to help.... I was suppose to try wellbutrin but couldnt afford it being I dont have insurance. Anyone know of anything I could mention to my Dr. when I see him next month that may help me with my Anxiety my social disorder and depression other then Xanax, Valuim, Klinopin and the other drugs listed above bein that none of them worked really at all.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

lorriem, you really know alot more than the doctor does in this case. Its a shame that alot of people do become dependant on benzos and the irony is that they lose their effectiveness and must be upped or changed around just to deal with the tolerance that develops intil someday even higher or more potent benzos may not do the job. So maybe your doc is trying something stronger for you? I don't recall if you mentioned if the Valium was becoming ineffective or anything like that, otherwise, if valium was still working, why is he switching you?

Bmoresfinest, yes the withdrawals suck and sometimes they linger for many months(the symptoms). Withdrawal symptoms are thought to only last for the actual withdrawal(time it takes for drug to leave body) but it has been known that they can linger around long after actual withdrawal. That's because the brain must re-develop its chemical system again, it learns to deal without drugs constantly effecting it. But it can take time so be very patient.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #21
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Jennita I have no idea why he changed me.he said something about the klonopin lasting longer in my system and I do know that is not true but wasn't about to argue. for 40 years like I said the valium 5 mg 4 x a day worke. i never took more because I never needed more. He has changed one other med on me to the new an improved beta blocker also.That works ok but it costs more money in my co pay then the propananol that I have been taking for over 30 years. i asked him about that also and he said he wanted me to have a long lasting beta blocker. I asked him didn't the propalonal have a long lasting one also.He said no even though I remember almost being put on one years ago. He said that they didn't make it anymore. I just found out that they do and I asked to be switched back to the long acting beta blocker. He said it doesn't work as well as the one I am taking now. I also asked my druggest how it worked compared to the one I am taking and I have to admit he said there is some difference but next visit i will ask to try it and see.I take that for a rapid heart rate so i really don't want to mess to much with that one.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I don't understand, why fix something that isn't broke? If you did well on original meds why mess around with that? The only thing I can think of is money. Sometimes drug co's give perks and docs then are persuaded to use the newer and higher priced drugs with patients. I'd let him know my old meds worked and don't appreciate being experimented on if it were me if you really do feel uncomfortable switching from what works.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoresFinest View Post
Only drug that ever felt like it worked for me was Valuim and that only lasted about a month and then it stopped.. The klinopin didnt work I was on .05 mgs and the 1 mg of xanax doesnt help either seems like I just take it to take it.. wish I knew of a way to help with me worrying and my anxiety none of these drugs help.. I also was on trileptal with these meds that drug didnt help either and I tryed paxil, celexa, prozac, effexor and a few others also for my depression nothing works seems as if im stuck and will never find a drug to help.... I was suppose to try wellbutrin but couldnt afford it being I dont have insurance. Anyone know of anything I could mention to my Dr. when I see him next month that may help me with my Anxiety my social disorder and depression other then Xanax, Valuim, Klinopin and the other drugs listed above bein that none of them worked really at all.
When are you going into detox? I have been there. But hopefully in the hospital they will make the detox a little smoother as long as they are not the kind of hospital that never wants to give you anything. I hated that.

Closed Thread