It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

bfkiddo HB User
ativan, lexapro

I have been taking 2.5 mg of ativan for about 7 months now..Dr. Just rx'ed Lexapro, but with no instructions....I dont know if it is safe to continue the ativan and start lexapro..but dont want to just stop taking it after this long. I have heard both are prescribed together on occasion, but want to be sure before I take it...Also, does it make you extremely tired, because I have 4 kids and babysit 2 others in the daytime...any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
p.s., doc gave me 10 mg tablets...am I supposed to start out at that or break it in half? doc is gone until sat morning...thanks again.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: ativan, lexapro

Hey Kiddo...As far as I know, taking Ativan and Lexapro would cause no problems for you. I take Klonopin (1 mg) and Lexapro (20 mg) together without any problems. Ativan and Klonopin are similar type drugs, so you should be ok. You will most likely notice some drowsiness from adding the Lexapro.

I wouldn't advise you to just stop taking the Ativan cold turkey, as you're leaving yourself wide open for a seizure. You have to taper down on this type of med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

RIGIRL HB User

When I Was On Lexapro I Use To Take Ativan With It But Once Your On Lexapro For A While You Wont Even Need The Ativan. I Was Taking 10 Mgrms Of Lexapro But I Started At 5 Cause I Was Scared In The Beginning.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

I was on lexapro for almost a year. Worst drug ever in my opinion. Prozac is an the oldest SSRI, the main reason they don't use it anymore is the pharmacuetal company's can't make much profit off of it, because the patent has expired, that's why the constantly come up with new drugs. When I discontinued lexapro I got VERY sick. I had rheumatoid arthritis - worst pain I've ever had- and didn't know thats what caused it for over a year.

Just because your on an SSRI doesn't mean you don't need a short acting benzo. If your taking it for anxiety, then I think taking it with a benzo is the best way to go, however they are addictive.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
(male)

chadwickBT HB User

ILiveForMyKids:

The lexapro caused your RA to flare up and cause pain? I've been taking lexapro for about 6 months now, just about how long my back has been bothering me, and am wondering after reading your post if that may be my problem as well...It's working GREAT for my anxiety, I started on 5, quickly went to 10 then got prescribed 20mg a day which I split into 2 doses, 10mg at breakfast and 10mg at lunch seems to work the best for me. But the pain is getting so bad I'd trade it for the anxiety anytime.
Who diagnosed the lexapro as being the cause of your RA? PCP/other?
Thanks, and good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

Lol actually I diagnosed myself with that being the culprit. It was the only medication I was on. I looked up information everywhere trying to find out the pain, later on ****pedia they had good information on SSRI discountinuation i think they called it and the possible side effects.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
(male)

chadwickBT HB User

thanks for the reply.

to clarify, your RA flared up and caused pain when you discontinued the lexapro, not while you were on it?

--Chad B. (amateur pharmacist wannabe)

Closed Thread