It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
(male)

David62 HB User
Lipitor: Shortness of Breath/Irregular Heart Beat

Anyone else have this?

I am a 45 year old male, an avid runner, I donít drink or smoke. I do have a family history of heart disease and was put on Lipitor to prevent high cholesterol. Two weeks into the Lipitor I couldnít run 1 block without feeling winded and chest pain. I stopped taking it immediately. Now 1 month later I felt weak in the legs and fell down when I got out of bed. I went into the cardiologistís office that afternoon for stress tests and they checked my heart and sent me to the ER. Tests say that I have Sick Sinus Syndrome and AV Node Block. I did not have any of these problems until I took Lipitor and its too hard for me to believe that it is just a coincidence. Have you heard of any other cases like this? Do the problems reverse themselves? How long does it take?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Lipitor: Shortness of Breath/Irregular Heart Beat

I can't answer about your present symptoms, but my husband had to stop taking Lipitor for exactly the same reason - breathlessness and chest and shoulder pain. He is OK now tho.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
(male)

David62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph48 View Post
I can't answer about your present symptoms, but my husband had to stop taking Lipitor for exactly the same reason - breathlessness and chest and shoulder pain. He is OK now tho.
Thank you for responding. If you don't mind, can I ask if you how old is your husband? Was he very active? Also, how long after he went off of Lipitor, did he get better?
Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David62 View Post
Anyone else have this?

I am a 45 year old male, an avid runner, I donít drink or smoke. I do have a family history of heart disease and was put on Lipitor to prevent high cholesterol. Two weeks into the Lipitor I couldnít run 1 block without feeling winded and chest pain. I stopped taking it immediately. Now 1 month later I felt weak in the legs and fell down when I got out of bed. I went into the cardiologistís office that afternoon for stress tests and they checked my heart and sent me to the ER. Tests say that I have Sick Sinus Syndrome and AV Node Block. I did not have any of these problems until I took Lipitor and its too hard for me to believe that it is just a coincidence. Have you heard of any other cases like this? Do the problems reverse themselves? How long does it take?

Thanks!
Hello,

I would be very interested in finding out more about the Sick Sinus Syndrome.
While I was on Lipitor, I developed exactly the same problems described in your post. My leg gave up on me right at the hospital entrance while going in for tests. (That was a third time within a week). I also started having other problems of neurological nature and experiencing muscle weakness. This began happening after about a month and a half on Lipitor, low dose.
I also have sinus congestion . One of the many side effects of the drugs I take. I cannot tell which one.

On the plus side, this drug helped bring my cholesterol levels down drastically during that time. Too afraid to keep taking it, I went off of it for a week.
I am on other medication and for that reason I cannot be absolutely sure that Lipitor was responsible. I am giving it another chance.

Because of your family history of heart disease, you should look into reducing your cholesterol levels through natural means if you cannot tolerate statins.
There's plenty of information available on the High Cholesterol Board.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

My dad is in the hospital and three doctors (PCP, neurologist, and cardiologist) said that the weakness in the muscle was caused by the cholesterol lowering drug. Dad was not on Lipitor specifically - simvastatin (brand name: Zocor). Anyway, after they found he had stenosis, they backed off the cholesterol drug being the cause (see my thread on Back board). You can search on the net but there is a class action lawsuit filed in June 2006.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it and will check out the Back board.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
(male)

Ammoguy HB User

David - I was on Zocor for 5 years but could never get my numbers down, until one day I said "to heck with it" and stopped taking the medication. I now take 4,000mg of fish oil a day and 4,000 of orderless garlic a day and the doctor is amazed that I brought my levels down well within the preferred range, this only took a month to do!!

I feel that sometimes the drug is worse that what you are trying to treat. Read my post about Neurotin and you will see.

Closed Thread