It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Adderall vs. Provigil

First of all, I apologize if I'm not posting this in the correct forum, I had a choice of the ADD/ADHD forum, the Depression forum and this one. I chose this forum.

I have depression and am going to a p-doc and a therapist for it. I was off work in Jan/Feb of this year but I am back to work 75% now. I travel for my job, so this is roughly 3 weeks on the road, 1 week at home.

I'm able to function now, not great, but at least I'm able to work. My main complaint is horrible, horrible fatigue. I'm not talking about yawning in the afternoon, I'm talking about fatigue that almost knocks me off my feet, that makes it almost impossible to stand in front of a client and train them. I've had many tests done to see what might be causing the fatigue, and nothing was found, so it's attributed to the depression. I think something else might be wrong, but we can't find it and I agree I don't want anymore tests, so if something else is really causing the fatigue, eventually it will be found.... maybe too late, but what else can I do?? I quit smoking 15 months ago and lost 40 pounds since then by eating healthier and exercising.

So, the p-doc had me on Provigil. I was taking a half to 1 tablet (I think they are 10mg?) and another half if I needed it before 3pm. I'm not sure this drug helped me, and I hated the crash I seemed to get when it wore off. I tried the provigil for about a month.

So now the p-doc put me on Adderall. 2.5 mg in the morning, 2.5 if needed again before 3 pm. If this didn't work, go to 5mg and 5mg. I liked this drug because it was cheaper than the Provigil and I didn't seem to crash as bad when it wore off. I've been on the adderall for about a month also.

The p-doc told me not to take both at the same time (of course) but after I've been on the adderall, to try the provigil once in awhile and see which one I like better. Well today I took a 10mg Adderall and seemed to have more energy, but I can feel myself begin to crash... it's been about 4 hrs since I've taken it.

Does anyone have any experience with these drugs? I'd love to be drug free, but that's not going to happen in the near future. Any recommendations on which one is best?

Thanks! (I also take Cymbalta 60mg in the morning).

Last edited by SanyBelle; 08-05-2007 at 01:42 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to SanyBelle:
LymeSux (03-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Adderall vs. Provigil

I was going through the same thing as you. My doctor wants to prescribe adderral as well/

Before i tried this he wanted me to attend a sleep study..... of course it came back that I have sleep apnea.

Curious if you had this done?

For the answer to your question about mixing.... if your doc said not to mix then i wouldn't do it.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Well, first, I'd refer you back to the Adderall Advice thread on the ADD board. Try making a log (with symbols, no writing necessary) of your symptoms in relation to both drugs. You can see for yourself which seems to be more effective.

I also think it would be wise for you to visit the Chronic Fatigue Board if you haven't already. You might find others who are dealing with the same issues.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2006 View Post
Before i tried this he wanted me to attend a sleep study..... of course it came back that I have sleep apnea.

Curious if you had this done?

For the answer to your question about mixing.... if your doc said not to mix then i wouldn't do it.
Thanks for the help! I haven't had a sleep study done, my GP suggested it, but I haven't done it yet. My ex says I snore, but he complained about everything. What are you doing about the sleep apnea? Do you have to sleep with one of those CPAP?? machines?

Oh no, I am not mixing the two drugs, I'm just trying to see which one I like better, so I took the Provigil today (no adderall since yesterday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html View Post
Well, first, I'd refer you back to the Adderall Advice thread on the ADD board. Try making a log (with symbols, no writing necessary) of your symptoms in relation to both drugs. You can see for yourself which seems to be more effective.

I also think it would be wise for you to visit the Chronic Fatigue Board if you haven't already. You might find others who are dealing with the same issues.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll try the log.... and I'll try to make time to read the Cronic Fatigue Board.... Your advice over on the ADHD board is wonderful!

But I just wonder why the fatigue came upon me so quickly.... in December 2006 it hit like crazy... Can sleep apnea start suddenly? I do hate all this! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Oh, I'm so happy someone is asking the same questions as me! I posted on the ADD forum and got some good feedback (thanks again, Index!).
It's so strange because most of the time when people post about taking adderall they do not indicate their dosage. SanyBelle, you say 10mg seems to help you. It seemed to help me too, for a few days and then stopped. I've had to keep upping it and now my doctor has told me to take 35 to45 mg a day and see if it works better. I would be sooooo grateful to hear from anyone who is taking or has taken adderall, including what dose you tried and what you experienced on it. With every dose level I have the same thing: NO side effects at all (my doc says that's because I'm not getting an effective dose yet), a tiny, marginal decrease in fatigue after about an hour that lasts for only about an hour or so and then after 3 hours I feel as fatigued and weak as ever. Like I said, I started at 5 - 10 mg and am now up to 35 - 45 mg. Not sure if I metabolize the drug quickly or if I need more or if it's just not the drug for me. They won't give me provigil because none of my docs have ever heard of it being used for just fatigue, so as of right now it's Adderall or nothing. So I really, really want it to work.

On a side note, SanyBelle, I'd like to comment on your fatigue. For 4 years I have been suffering from indescribable fatigue, just beyond words. I also have brain fog, trouble concentrating, my feet burn, I get dizzy and vertigo often, pins and needles sometimes, achey sometimes, and a giant laundry list of symptoms. For almost 4 years I was told depression over and over and over. So I finally went to a psych doc and guess what? She talked to me for 15 minutes and said "you don't suffer from depression."
I've had an MRI, seen a neurologist, rheumatologist, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc. I've been tested for Lyme, B12 deficiency, anemia, thyroid, you name it. Everyone was baffled and said depression, but as soon as I got the psyche to say it wasn't depression, they all changed their tune. Now they have decided to treat my symptoms while still trying to figure out the cause, hence the decision to put me on adderall. The rheumy has diagnosed me with fibro and cfs and strongly suspects MS, and has even argued with my neuro over it. (My neuro's area of focus is migraines and not MS, but it's hard to find another one in the area who can see me within the next 8 months). My psyche demanded I be tested for Lyme. It came back inconclusive, not positive but not negative either, but per other factors they determined it wasn't lyme. Thyroid runs in my family bigtime, so I am trying to get an endo to do a complete thyroid check. I've had TSH tested a few times and it's "normal," but from research I learned that can be deceiving.

My point is, don't just accept the depression diagnosis if you're not completely convinced you are depressed. You know your body and mind better than anyone. There's so many things that could be causing fatigue. Maybe it's depression, who knows? I would think for depression to be causing such severe fatigue you would have to have a very clear, deep feeling of depression, sadness, whatever, that would be unquestionable. Then again, I am certainly no expert. Anyway, I wish you lots of luck and look forward to hearing responses to your question!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Thanks for the help! I haven't had a sleep study done, my GP suggested it, but I haven't done it yet. My ex says I snore, but he complained about everything. What are you doing about the sleep apnea? Do you have to sleep with one of those CPAP?? machines?

Oh no, I am not mixing the two drugs, I'm just trying to see which one I like better, so I took the Provigil today (no adderall since yesterday).

Thanks! I'll try the log.... and I'll try to make time to read the Cronic Fatigue Board.... Your advice over on the ADHD board is wonderful!

I am not sure yet what they are going to do. I may have to wear the CPAP. Very rarely do I snore so that is why it took me a while to go. But then I thought "what the heck" I will see what happens. One of the clues I guess was that I don't feel refreshed after sleeping. Ever!

I would get the sleep study done. That sould very well be the problem.

I can't wait to go next week - I just want to feel good!!!! I don't want to be dragging all of the time.

But I just wonder why the fatigue came upon me so quickly.... in December 2006 it hit like crazy... Can sleep apnea start suddenly? I do hate all this! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know that "Depression" is the easy answer, but I travel too much and don't want to spend my one week at home each month going to doctors for more tests... I did that from Jan-June... I am still going to the therapist twice a month and a p-doc once a month, so that's enough for me. I wish it was easier to find out what's causing the fatigue, but it's not.... you guys understand....

And it was strange today. I feel like I never came down off the Provigil. I used to get episodes of what I call "Heavy head, brain zaps, breathlessness" when I was on Wellbutrin (I weaned off that a few months ago) and I had one of them today for the first time in a long time! This just stinks, lol! I don't know if it was just an episode of that... if it was the provigil, if it was not taking the adderall, or just a coinicidence.... grrrrrrr

I'm glad I'm not a doctor... they don't have an easy job diagnosing someone...

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Desperate1, I didn't mean to discount your advice about finding a reason other than depression... when I answered, I was cranky and tired. So sorry.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Please don't be sorry. I didn't take offense. I know exactly how you feel, believe me! I took two years off from trying to figure out what's wrong with me because I was too tired and just couldn't face any more doctors, tests, etc.
I'm now at the point where I actually am beginning to feel depressed because I'm so scared. Even with adderall providing some small bit of help for the fatigue, the weakness and brain fog (and all the other irritating symptoms) are so ever present that I don't know how or if I can go about leading a normal life. I've been lucky lately in that I am able to work from home right now doing transcription, but it's not steady work and sometimes it's not even enough money. And I'm young and have a masters degree so I should be working, and it's hard to explain why I'm not when I can't even say what I have, and what I'm being treated for currently are two things that some people don't even believe exist, cfs and fibro.
So believe me, I understand the frustration of every single person who is suffering in this way. I wish you the best, and I hope to hear about your experiences with your meds and which one will end up working best for you!

Closed Thread