It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

cam724 HB User
Question I dont think she needs all this! any advice???

so my mom is on some meds and i just dont think that she needs them all...she is always tired and NEVER has energy...she has suffered from chronic headaches for most of her life and that is the reason for most of the meds...i will list what i can remember, and just want to know if anyone has any input on this....(i usually post on another board for myself, but this whole site is great for all questions)

effexor 150mg once a day
klonopin 1mg twice a day
methadone 5mg twice a day
amitriptyline 25?mg at night
atenolol 50mg once
hctz 25mg once
valium 10mg when needed for a bad headache
provigil 100mg not sure if taken everyday
indocin 25mg
tricor 48

will any of these meds make her like fall asleep at any point in the day? she is only 45 years old, i tried to talk to her about what she can go off....i dont think she needs it all...thanks for ur time

Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
(female)

starissa HB User
Re: I dont think she needs all this! any advice???

im not sure on all those meds but maybe she should see another doc and get another opoion on what shes taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
(female)

msf HB User

I recently was referred to a psychopharmacologist - a psychiatrist who specializes in medication. He was fantastic. He was able to explain how my drugs were interacting. At the time I was on Effexor XR, Paxil, Ritalin, and Risperdal. He told me that Paxil shouldn't be mixed with anything. In my case it was preventing my body from excreting Effexor XR and Risperdal so I was basically overdosing on those 2.

Problem is, he sent his recommendations to my psychiatrist and I don't think she followed his suggestions. Reason why I'm on this site, trying to see if there's info on drug interactions between Effexor XR, Risperdal and trazodone. I distinctly remember him saying that he was going to put me on 2 new medications which would resolve my original issues (after listening to my life history he said he diagnosed me with chronic Post-traumatic stress disorder due to life experiences I had before the age of 12) and my current issues of insomnia and constant fatigue.

Now I have to get a copy of his report to check up on my psychiatrist - so, would strongly recommend that if your mom does see a psychopharmacologist, you ask him to send you a copy of his report.

Last edited by msf; 11-05-2007 at 06:31 AM.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly?i think she needs to start seeing another doc.she is on some basically "duplicate' type meds here as well as other very strong meds that would practically place her into the sleep zone with no problem.she should NOT be on both valium and klonipin,i am also wondering about the different anti deppresants,the effexor is an ssri anti D and the elavil(amatrip) is a tricyclic anti d.what is this doc trying to actually treat here?

has this doc ever actually done any real testing on her to determine the real cause of the headaches?are these migrane or something else?i really do think her best bet is either finding a brand new primary doc or her seeing a neurologist for the headache treament plan.then she could DC some of the stronger meds she is currently taking.neurologists are really the best type of doc to be seeing for any real headache issues.this is where they really DO specialize.it just makes much better sense.they would also do a bit of real testing to try and come up with a real reason that could actually be treated and the head pain could go away possibly at some point.she just needs more specialized care at this point.hope she can see the neurlogist soon.i really do think she would recieve much better overall treatment and not turn into a zombie.i wish her luck.please keep me posted as to how things go.Marcia

Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam724 View Post
so my mom is on some meds and i just dont think that she needs them all...she is always tired and NEVER has energy...she has suffered from chronic headaches for most of her life and that is the reason for most of the meds...i will list what i can remember, and just want to know if anyone has any input on this....(i usually post on another board for myself, but this whole site is great for all questions)

effexor 150mg once a day
klonopin 1mg twice a day
methadone 5mg twice a day
amitriptyline 25?mg at night
atenolol 50mg once
hctz 25mg once
valium 10mg when needed for a bad headache
provigil 100mg not sure if taken everyday
indocin 25mg
tricor 48

will any of these meds make her like fall asleep at any point in the day? she is only 45 years old, i tried to talk to her about what she can go off....i dont think she needs it all...thanks for ur time
You can always do a search engine for drug interactions. I take 12 meds per day for BP1, Fibro and Migraines. I see a psychiatrist, therapist, GP and pain doc every month. They all know what the others prescribe so it is not like I am doctor shopping and getting something the others don't know about. Even though I have done a drug interaction myself, it does show some severe drug interactions that my pharmacy never said a word to me about which was a BIG chain. However, the docs have decided the benefits outweigh the risks. I will tell you that I take 26 pills per day. When I take my morning meds, about 20 minutes later, my husband who is getting ready for work says honey, it looks like you need to go back to bed. I look like I have been on a three day drunk sometimes. Most days I make myself stay up. Sometimes, I cannot. I am only 44. I use to be a workaholic and can no longer work. I am fighting for SSD. I don't have a choice. I would give anything to be able to work but I know that I don't have a choice anymore. I also wish I didn't need the meds. I also have to get trigger point injections every 28 days in about 9-10 or more places due to the fibro. It does not make the pain go away until the next time but it last a little while. The rain and cold make it much worse.

Have you ever thought about going with your Mom to her doctors visit? Does she have more than 1 doc? It might be something to think about and talk over with her.

Good Luck. I didn't mean to ramble but wanted you to understand what may be going on. Jenn.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

That seems like am awful lot of meds. Is one doctor prescribing all of them?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
(female)

cam724 HB User

well she has a neurologist who gives her the klonopin and methadone....her PCP gives the rest...but the effexor is from samples that her old PCP gave her tons of, so can effexor be taken with amitriptyline? because i dont think that her new PCP knows of the effexor, just because of the samples no other reason....i have read that methadone makes people really sleepy and once she ran out and at the same time felt like crap and i told her it was propbably withdrawals and she said no way because she is only on ten mg's a day of the methadone, but still i think she would have withdrawals if she suddenly stopped....she thinks she has fibromyalgia, at the same time every year she like cant move because her legs are on fire and she is exhausted...i dont know, i think she should go off some meds

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam724 View Post
well she has a neurologist who gives her the klonopin and methadone....her PCP gives the rest...but the effexor is from samples that her old PCP gave her tons of, so can effexor be taken with amitriptyline? because i dont think that her new PCP knows of the effexor, just because of the samples no other reason....i have read that methadone makes people really sleepy and once she ran out and at the same time felt like crap and i told her it was propbably withdrawals and she said no way because she is only on ten mg's a day of the methadone, but still i think she would have withdrawals if she suddenly stopped....she thinks she has fibromyalgia, at the same time every year she like cant move because her legs are on fire and she is exhausted...i dont know, i think she should go off some meds
First of all she should not self medicate with the Effexor. Her docs should know of all meds she is on. As far as the methadone, yes she would go through withdrawals, as I have a friend that takes it. Fibro doesn't come just once a year.... I am not being mean. It is with you every day. I have pain every day of my life. I see a pain doc every 28 days and he has me on 6 pain pills per day, 1 anti-inflammatory, 4 muscle relaxers and I get trigger point injections every 28 days. I just had my injections on Tuesday and am just getting to the point where I can move around. I had 10 injections. Fibro is not something that comes and goes.

Are you sure that all the docs know about all the scripts. If not, you need to make sure that you do. Please try and go with her to all the appts and see that she tells them about all the meds., including the Effexor.

Just something to think about. Jenn

Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
(female)

brina671 HB User

I am a nurse and have lupus and fibromyalgia and in pain every day. She is on too much of the same type of meds that its a surprise she is awake at all. If she won't talk to the doctor and let him know about the other docs and meds, maybe you should call her PCP and let him know that you have real concerns about your mom. Leave the PCP a message to call you that you have concerns about your mom. We had to do this with my father-in-law because of his methadone causing him to stay in bed all day every day for three months. He lost a lot of weight so me and my brother took him to his next appt to speak to the doctor. You could always offer to take her the next time and then bring up your concerns if you didn't want to call. Good luck!!!

Closed Thread