It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
(male)

AnxietyMan HB User
Xanax and Melatonin

There are no known interactions between these two medications as far as I've seen in my research, but they both can do similar things to your body.

I took my normal .5mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) at 9:30 and a 3mg Melatonin at about 10:15 tonight.

My heart rate seems a bit slow. (52bpm) I first checked it about 30 minutes ago, and it was 58bpm. I've read taking sleeping pills with Xanax could be fatal (wish the pharmacist told me that)

Anyways, what heart rate should I be worried about? I know normal is 60-100, but when should I actually take action and go to the ER to be checked out?

It also may help to say I have anxiety, so I may be just over-reacting. But my heart rate doesn't lie. 52bpm...

Please someone let me know what to do! I dont wanna wake up my son so my wife can take me to the ER so they can release me after 15 minutes and them say "you're fine". But if this is dangerous, I'll do it...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Xanax and Melatonin

According to my drug interaction checker, they are not contraindicated. 52BPM isn't really that slow, unless you have another underlying health condition that you haven't mentioned. If you are concerned, don't take them together again. Xanax was always enough to knock me on my butt on its own, I can't see taking it with melatonin (which I only take when my circadian rhythm is off).

If you do become overly concerned, maybe a trip to the doctor is called for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
(male)

AnxietyMan HB User

Well its 1am, the doctor is closed and the ER refused to give advice over the phone...
I guess I'll just wait it out, fight the tiredness and NOT DO IT AGAIN.

I can just never sleep, and while Xanax can be some what sedative, its not enought to knock me out...

Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Interesting. I was on Lorazapam and last week my doctor switched me to Xanax. I have been taking melatonin for months and I noticed today I am extremely tired....to the point of not being able to keep my eyes open.

Never heard you shouldn't mix xanax w/ melatonin but if you find that to be the truth, please post here. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
(male)

AnxietyMan HB User

I asked my doctor about it, and he said it's fine, just to maybe take them a couple hours apart. (I dont care what he says, I'm not doing that again, at least not for a long while)

Closed Thread