It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

blueskyyz25 HB User
4 different blood pressure meds

My grandfather has been taking metoprolol and captopril for a few years now. His b/p has always been high..a few months back he was also put on norvasc and just recently he was given tekturna. Can all 4 of these b/p meds be given safely? His b/p is still high and now he's anemic. He also has diabetes and takes glipizide for that and furosemide for fluid retention. Along with Zocor at night and a few other meds. The reason I am asking is because he is now having frequent dizzy spells. I noticed the side effects of all the blood pressure/cholesterol meds is dizziness, sleepiness, and he has all of those side effects. Just recently he got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and fell and broke 2 ribs on the toilet. He actually went 2 days before without any meds and his b/p was low and his blood sugar was normal??

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: 4 different blood pressure meds

Sounds like your grandfather is on too many meds, IMO. You might try posting this on the High Blood Pressure board. There are some very knowledgable people there that could give you some good advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

are all these BP meds from the exact same doc? and the others too? four BP meds really sounds alot like overkill. it just seems like too much to me too. have you ever gone with him to any doc appts just so you can advocate for him and ask some questions? this is what i would do,but first,i would have a chat with the pharmacist at the pharm he uses and just ask them about the safety issues of being on four different BP meds. believe me, the pharmacist is almost always the best possible source for med questions,espescially when it comes to any possible drug reactions or interactions. get the info from the pharm then speak with his doc. does he use the same pharmacy for all his meds?

just how have his actual BPs been on all this? i am wondering if he isn't getting "too good' of results just from the dizzyness(could be a sudden drop in BP). but have a chat with his pharmacist or even yours. suprisingly,many docs really don't understand much about some of the meds that actually are Rxing to their patients,there are just way too many meds out there to even begin to try and stay on top of them. this is where the pharm comes in,you know what i mean? it is a pharmacists job to to know and answer med questions. what they don't actually know off hand,they have great programs intheir PCs to look them up.

just start asking some questions and go with him to at least one doc appt so YOU will know whats up too. i do hope he gets better soon. please let me know how things are going. FB

Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

blueskyyz25 HB User

yes, they are all from the same doctor.. I am just worried because that seems like an awful lot of B/P meds to be given. I am going to try giving him some garlic supplements and bring his b/p down because the meds aren't working they just keep on adding more and if the garlic works maybe he can quit taking some of the meds...Thanks for the input

Closed Thread