It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

patched HB User
one dose of effexor horrible side-effects

Hi,

On Tuesday night I took a 37.5 mgs. extended release capsule of effexor.
I could not sleep and I kept having these weird thoughts that were going around and around in my head. I had terrible gas pains in my stomach and felt a little nauseous. Just didn't feel right on Wednesday. That afternoon I was on the computer and all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out.
I put my head between my legs. I didn't pass out but have been dizzy on and off with the gas pains and slight nausea. My pulse has also been a bit fast. Because of depression I've gone from 110 pounds to 99. I was just wondering if 37.5 mgs. extended release was just to much for my weight. I was hoping that someone might have had a similar experience. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited by patched; 11-21-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

imtupp HB User
Re: one dose of effexor horrible side-effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by patched View Post
Hi,

On Tuesday night I took a 37.5 mgs. extended release capsule of effexor.
I could not sleep and I kept having these weird thoughts that were going around and around in my head. I had terrible gas pains in my stomach and felt a little nauseous. Just didn't feel right on Wednesday. That afternoon I was on the computer and all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out.
I put my head between my legs. I didn't pass out but have been dizzy on and off with the gas pains and slight nausea. My pulse has also been a bit fast. Because of depression I've gone from 110 pounds to 99. I was just wondering if 37.5 mgs. extended release was just to much for my weight. I was hoping that someone might have had a similar experience. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
I think everyone tolerates drugs differently, and I know for myself I felt icky upon first starting. Your body will accept it within a few days and you'll feel a little better, as far as nausea, dizzy goes. The AD itself may take up to 4 weeks to start feeling the effect. 37.5 is the lowest dose Effexor has, my guess is that your doc will probably increase at gradual incriments til you are at a stable dose.

I have ALWAYS been a very small person(in my 46 years the only time I gained weight was right after I received DX for Graves' followed by an RAI treatment to my thyroid causing hypothrydism, taking me to an all time high of 121lbs.) Currently I weigh 102lbs. and one point this summer I was on 225 Effexor XR as well as 300 Wellbutrin XL, so I'm quite positive your weight doesn't account for much when they are dosing you.

You may also want to start taking the med in the morning, as the meds are most likely energizing you, and also with food, and this might help with the cramping and nausea.

Take it easy this weekend and give the meds a chance to start doing what they need to do.

Keep an eye on the side effects list to make sure you are not having an adverse effect. Especially the rapid heartrate. But time is also needed, so please do give the meds a chance.

Hope you are feeling better soon,
tup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
(female)

JaneDoeToo HB User

I took Effexor years ago and I do not remember the dosage. However, I will never forget the 'side effects'. I was going into a withdrawal like state if I was even 20 minutes late from the exact time schedule for taking the next dose. I was having sweats and chills really bad. This never stopped while I was taking the med. When I did try to stop the med, I went into this really messed up state of delirium. I've never taken LSD or anything like it, but it felt like I was on one wicked LSD trip. I could not get out of bed or even reach to the nightstand to call 911. I was screaming and moaning and having this colorful graphic horrible dreams. I was so out of it I don't remember everything. I've spoke to one, only one, person that tolerated Effexor. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. I took effexor only for about 2 months on the lowest dosage. The side effects were mild for me, except for the vivid dreams. I just couldn't cope with them so I went off it cold turkey. Big mistake.....it was horrendous. I've since taken different meds with mild, short lived side effects, that work well. Honestly, I wouldn't persevere with effexor when there are so many others to choose from that may suit you better.

Closed Thread