It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

marvine6689 HB User
Pill stuck in throat

Have an antibiotic for a UTI stuck in my throat. It feels more like it is stuck on the right side. I tried vomiting, eating bread, drinking lots of liquid but to no avail it seems like it is still there and it is quite bothersome. What else can i do?

The following user gives a hug of support to marvine6689:
aerojim (11-06-2010)
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Pill stuck in throat

i would have suggested eating the bread. May i ask what worked for you?

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
(male)

Allsop4 HB User

I too have expierenced this problem. I was taking lorazepam and zopiclone (sonata) for insomnia and as they usually have very noticable effects, some nights I found them innefective. I was baffled, until one night when i started coughing heavily and regurgitated the intact pills, which apparently were lodged in the back of my throat.

If pills get lodged in your throat, try drinking something first, so your throat isnt dry when you swallow it.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
(male)

hz8891 HB User

Its probably a lump or bruise, not the pill. Most pills dissolve in liquid.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

trydit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvine6689 View Post
Have an antibiotic for a UTI stuck in my throat. It feels more like it is stuck on the right side. I tried vomiting, eating bread, drinking lots of liquid but to no avail it seems like it is still there and it is quite bothersome. What else can i do?
I will never again take my vites at 3:00 a.m. Insomnia is not full wakefulness. Two cinnamon tabsules ( pills that look like capsules) stuck in my throat and expanded. I googled and found several sites suggesting bread, applesauce yogurt, water, how to swallow,etc, and I tried everything Called the local ER about 8 hours later, local snow and wind with advisory going. ER nurse:so long as I could breathe and talk suggested warm liquids, and the cinnamon may dissolve. What finally HELPED was a warm soft mushy microwaved potato, with me trying not to eat any skin. I felt it dislodge and I am almost "there"-- some pain in back of throat-- maybe an irritation. I am eating with yogurt. This is almost 24 hours later.

The following user gives a hug of support to trydit:
clarinetgirl55 (11-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to trydit For This Useful Post:
clarinetgirl55 (11-06-2011)
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

applesauce usually works for me

Old 02-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I used to have a very difficult time swallowing my Prozac pills. They are plastic capsules. I have no problem with gels and tablets though, just the plastic ones this time. I could feel the pill lodged in my throat, then usually way later, I could feel it very slowly going down. It was uncomfortable and I think it even scratched my throat up in the process. What helped me was several things- taking the pill with applesauce did help, as well as wrapping up the pill in a piece of bread and swallowing the whole thing. It was much larger when wrapped in bread, but it had a chance of a big wad getting stuck than a small pill. Cheese worked for this too. Lastly, I found something much easier that worked for me that I do every time now. Another poster suggested that I turn my head to the side as I swallow the pill. Sometimes I have to do one side for a few seconds, then flip to the other side. I notice that this helps me a LOT and the pill slides down much easier. It's an odd thing, but I'll do whatever works!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

TUrRrRa, I am always getting prozac pills stuck. For some reason I find them hard to slide right down my throat. When your pill gets stuck, do you ever get the yucky burning feeling in your chest? It almost feels like heartburn. I too can feel them as they go down.

Closed Thread