It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

sugareee HB User
Is it okay to take oxycodone 30mg after 90mg Methadone yesterday?

Hello, I am new to this message board and this is my first post. I have been in pain management for 2 years now for chronic pain and have gone up to 30mg oxycodone for the last 5 months. I moved to another state 17 days ago & decided not to find a new pain doctor. I decided to find a methadone clinic and take myself off the pain meds. I started methadone 15 days ago & the clinic started me at 30mg and my dose goes up each day until I am comfortable. I am at 90mg now. Today I missed going to the clinic for the first time because I over slept and now they are closed and do not open until Monday. I am in a lot of pain & feel just awful! It has been 32 hours since my last dose of methadone. I have some oxycodone 30mg left that my doctor had precribed me and am wondering if it is okay to take it? I have heard so many different things about taking the oxycodone with the methadone and do not know what to believe. All I know is I am in pain and feel like I should take it. Thank you for your help

Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

sparky06516 HB User
Re: Is it okay to take oxycodone 30mg after 90mg Methadone yesterday?

Yes, it is definatly ok to take the oxycodone. I take 160mg of methodone a day(for pain) and take oxycodone for break thru pain. I have been on this regiment for almost 3 years and I am fine. As long as you have taken the oxy before without any site effects you should be fine. You are probably feeling more pain because you missed your does of meth. Just a question, if you were in pain management for chronic pain, and still having pain, why stop?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

sugareee HB User

Thank you for your response. I'm going to take the oxycodone. I have been on it for 5 months & had switched to the methadone about 2 weeks ago so I am pretty sure my body is still used to the oxycodone. To be honest I did not want to stop seeing my pain doctors. I am hurting all the time and will eventually have to have surgery. I stopped because my boyfriend asked me to try & get off the pain medicine and try some holistic approaches to dealing with my pain. I don't want to stop pain management and I already know in my mind flowers and herbs are not going to make my pain any better. But, I'm giving it a chance. I hope not to be on the methadone program to long. I have heard awful things about methadone & don't want to stay on it longer then I need to. I have noticed that it does not help with my pain as well as the oxycodone does. I also know that I am not going to be pain free. I just hope these other options are worth it.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
(female)

sparky06516 HB User

The methadone may not be working for 1 of 2 reasons, either you haven't been on it long enough or your dose isn't high enough. There is nothing wrong with trying other things, but if they are not helping your pain, than you should be on something that will. There is no reason in this day and age to be in pain. I hope the oxycodone helped you. Don't give up on PM alltogether, I'm sure you now how long it takes to get in. Be honest with your boyfriend, if his approach isn't working and you have given it a try(that's the least you can do for him) go back to pain management. No reason to suffer, it could ruin your relationship. I now that when I'm in pain, there are times when I'm not very pleasant to be around. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sparky06516; 10-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
(male)

calvindoyl HB User

Yes, it is, and I hope it worked.. however, Methadone has to build up in your system before it has an effect. It's meant to be a long term, consistent drug, and should be taken regularly as prescribed. It must be taken consistently, and by taking Oxy you are slightly upsetting the balance that methadone puts into your system. It's only short term and temporary, and is not a problem at all with occasional pain, just be careful with the amount and frequency. If you are experiencing a lot of pain and find yourself needing it a lot, talk to your doctor for a possible adjustment of your methadone treatment

The following user gives a hug of support to calvindoyl:
telana (10-20-2011)
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

teriann74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugareee View Post
Hello, I am new to this message board and this is my first post. I have been in pain management for 2 years now for chronic pain and have gone up to 30mg oxycodone for the last 5 months. I moved to another state 17 days ago & decided not to find a new pain doctor. I decided to find a methadone clinic and take myself off the pain meds. I started methadone 15 days ago & the clinic started me at 30mg and my dose goes up each day until I am comfortable. I am at 90mg now. Today I missed going to the clinic for the first time because I over slept and now they are closed and do not open until Monday. I am in a lot of pain & feel just awful! It has been 32 hours since my last dose of methadone. I have some oxycodone 30mg left that my doctor had precribed me and am wondering if it is okay to take it? I have heard so many different things about taking the oxycodone with the methadone and do not know what to believe. All I know is I am in pain and feel like I should take it. Thank you for your help

Hi, I have been on Methadone for over a year and before that was on other opiate pain meds from oxycodone to dilaudid and nothing helped consistently like methadone. At first I was in a similar situation as yourself. New home, new doctors and I found the methadone clinic. I had to get up to 160 mg before I felt okay. Now I have found a private doctor who perscribes my methadone and I take 50 mg which is spread out through the day. The problem with methadone clinics is that you have to take it all at once and that can be a probelm. Methadone stays in your system for along time but its actual pain killing effecs only last a few hours. So that could be why you can't seem to get good pain relief. If I were you I would try and find a local doctor that will perscribe to you and decide whether you want to keep trying the methadone or go back to the Oxycodone. If you do want to keep on the oxycodone I recommend that you don't tell the doctor you were taking methadone because most likely he will assume that you have addiction problems and will keep you on the methadone. But like I said in the begining I am doing better on Methadone than anyhthing else I have been on my tollerance doesn't seem to be effected like with other pain meds. I always had to increase my dilaudid and oxycodone not with Methadone I have actually decreased and feel great. Hang in there and good luck! And as for taking the oxycodone after the methadone you should be fine if you feel like you can't breath contact the closest ER because to much pain medicine can supress your lungs and make it hard to breath that is what happens when someone overdoses they stop breathing. So be very cautious.

Last edited by teriann74; 10-05-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Answer to the original question

Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to tend to agree with the above poster here in finding an actual PM clinic and doc to take over your meth rxing. you DO NOT have to be going to any type of methadone clinic every day and be treated like you are some kind of addict in order to get the methadone Rxed by a real honest to god PM doc, just like any other class II from PMs are. many many PM clincis actually use alot of methadone on certian patients with the appropriate pain criterias to try and use it to rein in pain. in their eyes, you and this particular med are just like any other med you would normally be Rxed by them for chorinic pain. but you can get this thru ANY PM doc and do not have to go to any type of strictly methadone clinic. i would simply seek out a good PM in your area for this if you want to stay on it or not really makes no real difference. you would just be treated a bit more humanely at a PM vs a meth clinic, thats all. they can also offer you many other options at a real PM to try and manage your pain without the use of certain meds. that part is kind of up to you, ya know? and you do NOT ahve to trot on down to any clinic on a daily basis either just to obtain that badly needed next dose. it would be right there with your other meds AT HOME, just like that oxy was when you were being Rxed this too ya know?

i would NOT allow your boyfriend to even go there with HIM telling you what you NEED for pain management. is he currently the one suffering with what has to be some pretty high pain just to even be what you are on and have been taking? he cannot possibly KNOW what YOUR pain and suffering are like, so him being allowed to 'dictate' any pain options, unless he actually has an MD behind his name(and alot of actual pain management experience too) is rather ludacris, ya know?

this is simply YOUR pain and YOU need to work witn a good knowledgable PM clinic to find out just what truely works for YOUR particular pain generators. thats just pretty sick and pretty easy to dictate to someone what they should actually do when thay are not the ones suffering with sometime pretty hellish levels of pain(this IS Soooo my sister). a good PM can just offer many many different types/modalities of real PM that do and do not involve the usage of any narcotics, and some just do. the biggie here IS CHOICES and options that you do NOT have at ay meth clinic at all. i would simply tell the old boyfriend that you are going to seek out PM but to try and stay on the meth, which most would be more than happy to Rx a patient, and also have the availiability of other methods too to help. of course, this IS only if the meth is actually even working for you? if not, you really truely DO just need a good knowledgable PM for help, screw the BFs 'plan' for you. if he enjoys seeing you suffer with 'his' way, then i guess he really does not care about 'YOU" the way you may think he does. YOU and your ability to function and not be tortured by severe chronic pain just HAS to come first. not every single type of pain process is even treatable to certain degrees. i personally have some that do responsd thankfully to my oxycontin and others that really are the worst of the worst, that narcotics of any kind simply do not ever touch. those i just suck up. but for you own sake,just seek ouyt a really good PM, i can almost guarentee you if the clincic Rxes class II meds,that would also have NO problem in also Rxing your meth for pain control. you just should NOT have to show up somewhere every single day to be treated for your pain when it can easily be treated thru a 30 day rx by most docs. i wish you luck with this hon. please keep us posted. marcia

Closed Thread