It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

cooldude101 HB User
side effects spironolactone (male)

Hi

I've been taking spironolactone for over a year now. I've just stopped taking it, as I was getting light headed most of the time if not all the time only when I had been lying down and getting back up. It has made my body develop breasts and i've tried losing weight as well, my stomach goes down and I lose weight but my man boobs keep getting bigger. My sex drivewas okay for about 6 months of being on a low dose (100mg). But as soon as it was upped to 300mg (3 tablets a day) my sex drive slowly declined, and now I've losted the sensation I used to get, and cant get erections. It's causing me a lot of emotional problems, and it broke up my relationship.

I would like to know how long it takes after stopping spironolactone for the erections and sensations to come back (weeks? months?) . Also how can I treat the man boobs problem?

I've also taking some testosterone 40mg spread over 2 days, as I read it spiro can effect testosterone levels. Nothings changed. Also tried supplements for sex drive and they don't really work.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

EDSGRL HB User
Re: side effects spironolactone (male)

I am sorry you are going through this. I can tell you that I was on Spironolactone for 8 years. I am a female and I took it reduce androgen effects in my body, (i.e., male pattern hair growth) because I have PCOS and it worked wonders. I stopped it when trying to get pregnant as you need to be off the medicine for at least 6 months before conceiving because of what it can do to a male fetus. Therefore, I would definitely suggest not taking it anymore. There are other drugs out there to treat your condition that don't cause breast enlargement in males. Hope this helps some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread