It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

Bloomer HB User
Bad side effects with Cefalexin/Cephalexin/Keflex including depression/anxiety/panic

I have had a sinus infection for almost three weeks, in the first week I was prescribed Doxycycline which did nothing and then last Wednesday I was prescribed 500mg of Cefalexin (also known as Cephalexin, Keflex) three times a day. Within approx 5 hours of taking the first dose, I felt awful. I had a kind of panic attack, I felt faint, dizzy and I also felt severely depressed like there was no point to life. I felt so bad by Friday night I ended up in A&E, but was just told my sinus infection was causing me to feel bad, they didn't seem to care about the depression/anxiety, Saturday was even worse so on Sunday I decided to stop taking them. I am still feeling shaky and have a having a horrible feeling that nothing is worth it (not all day, just on and off). Is it possible it could be a side effect of this drug? I saw my doctor today who also didn't seem bothered and told me he thought my Fostair inhalers were making me shaky and panic. Anybody else suffer these symptoms after taking it?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
(male)

Deejay20002 HB User
Re: Bad side effects with Cefalexin/Cephalexin/Keflex including depression/anxiety/pa

Hi there,

Yes ive had the same effect after taking cephalexin for a couple of days. The
dermatologist prescribed me it to take 3 times a day. After my first capsule, i had a panic attack later on that night, and was in an anxiety like mood for the next 2 days. This is a serious side effect of this drug and should really noticed by
doctors and the general public! I thoughht i was the only one with this side effect but if you google "cephalexin and anxiety" you will find many users of this drug experienced very similiar episodes of anxiety and panic attacks. Yet it is not warned to people!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

angeleyes51 HB User
Re: Bad side effects with Cefalexin/Cephalexin/Keflex including depression/anxiety/pa

I have had an on-going sinus infection for 3 weeks and was initially prescribed Augmentin for 7 days. It seemed to have cleared the infection, but came back two days after stopping the antibiotic. Went to an ENT this time and he prescribed Cephalexin 500mg 2x daily for 3 weeks. I have had debilitating anxiety with this drug and not sure if I am any better now than when I started taking it 2 weeks ago. My throat is feeling better, but my right ear is still feeling a bit itchy and painful. I'm pretty sure my sinus infection is caused by a dairy allergy, but it would be nice if these doctors would prescribe antibiotics that do not have these horrible side effects. Especially anxiety and panic attacks! That in and of itself, causes other symptoms unlated to the initial sinus infection.

Last edited by angeleyes51; 11-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Reply Reply