It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
(male)

simo467 HB User
Oxycontin

I know this can be a touchy subject but I will give it a go. I am 73 and have 3 causes of pain. (A) Lower back from a squashed disc 50 years ago. (B) Total Knee Placement that is a total flop. (C) Incredible burning stinging feet caused by Type 2 Diabetes. My understanding doctor gives me 30 Mg Oxycontin which I take twice daily. This makes an enormous difference in my quality of life in my twilight years. Now I don't know how this subject is handled in other countries, but over here in Australia the daily news comment shows like Today Tonight and 7-30 on the ABC etc always seem to concentrate on the negative side of things. I recently sent an e-mail into one of these shows and said. "Why do you people always bring up the bad side of things". "Instead of reporting on the 50 idiots that overdose and dye, why not talk about the 500,000 people who are getting incredible pain relief from Opiates instead". I am curious as to what you readers here think about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User
Re: Oxycontin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsimo1 View Post
I know this can be a touchy subject but I will give it a go. I am 73 and have 3 causes of pain. (A) Lower back from a squashed disc 50 years ago. (B) Total Knee Placement that is a total flop. (C) Incredible burning stinging feet caused by Type 2 Diabetes. My understanding doctor gives me 30 Mg Oxycontin which I take twice daily. This makes an enormous difference in my quality of life in my twilight years. Now I don't know how this subject is handled in other countries, but over here in Australia the daily news comment shows like Today Tonight and 7-30 on the ABC etc always seem to concentrate on the negative side of things. I recently sent an e-mail into one of these shows and said. "Why do you people always bring up the bad side of things". "Instead of reporting on the 50 idiots that overdose and dye, why not talk about the 500,000 people who are getting incredible pain relief from Opiates instead". I am curious as to what you readers here think about this.

That is very understanding by me and so true to us here , and from the heart I sure feel the same way as we all here, basically need the drugs for quality of life.
I am only 40 and could not work without the meds that I revive, as I have ran my construction business for over 22 years,
and had to get out of the business now I do maintenance and its alot less demanding and doable with the meds, as I gotta have em for now at least. The _)(|%@! with the abusers and addicts messing things up because it is just terrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Trish0102 HB User

Do you have a regular check-up? It is much better to consult your concern to a doctor.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
(male)

simo467 HB User

Yes Trish0102, I get a months supply at a time and my doctor has been subscribing them for me since January last year. I have assured him that I have no side effects, so he can assess me every 4 weeks. As I said in my original post a handful of people abuse Oxycontin and probably world wide many millions get excellent pain relief. Lets concentrate on the good, not the bad.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
(female)

deljo HB User

Hi Trish, I am a 75y. old female, almost the same history as you. Need major back surgery on L4&5, also need hip replacement. Have Lupus which causes muscular/skeletal pain, especially in upper back and chest.Sometime the pain is so bad I wonder if its my heart again.Take up to 4 vicodin daily. Take Lyricia for neuropathy due to Type 2 diabetes. Tried morpine, bad side effects. Maybe my next med will be oxycontin. I feel if one needs the drug for pain relief then take it. The drug does not make one an addict. Drugs are wonderful if used properly. Take Care.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
(male)

simo467 HB User

Hello deljo, you say you Take Lyricia for neuropathy due to Type 2 diabetes. I have Type 2 Diabetes and suffer with burning stinging feet practically 24 hrs a day. My doctor gave me Endep 25 which I have been taking for a year which didn't do anything for my feet really, but made me sleepy and tired all day as well as enlarging my prostrate and causing some problems down there. I have stopped them now and am back to fairly normal and still have my burning stinging feet problem. Do you take the Lyricia for feet problems and do they help you? You are right about Oxycontin being used properly, as the people who die from it usually crush them up and inject it which is crazy. Like you I am getting on at 73 and I believe what ever time I have left should be happy days without pain. As I said above I am on 30 Mg Oxycontin twice a day and they are a wonderful pain reliever.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
(female)

deljo HB User

Hi Trish, yes Lyrica does help with my burning feet at night. I also tried Cybalta but had bad side effects. I Have secondary fibro from lupus and lyrica also helps with that. Before I started Lyricia my feet would burn and I would get shooting pains in my toes, even in my nails. So much better now. Maybe your MD would try it on you. HYope you feel better.

Reply Reply