It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
(female)

marsbar45 HB User
Clopidogrel

I had several TIAs seven years ago which were cause by a sudden reduction in Thyroxine, within 8 weeks I had 3 TIAs and now I have been taking Clopidogrel for about seven years. It is playing havoc with my stomach and I have to take PPIs which are also doing me no good. Does anyone know of a natural and less stomach-destroying alternative to Clopidogrel? Even a tiny dose of aspirin hurts my stomach.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: Clopidogrel

I wish I could help.
I was part of a double blind study with clopidogrel/omeprazole after my first stent a decade ago.
Alas I broke the double blind because I didn't want to play with a placebo so I opened a capsule and ate it...pure sugar. I told my doctor and dropped out.

The point of the study was to determine if the most common side-effect of clopidogrel, gastritis and peptic ulceration, could be prevented by dosing with a PPI. I guess you have proven that it cannot be counted on.

I stopped clopidogrel in 6 weeks after daily nosebleeds because I knew that if I SAW blood there is probably some I am NOT seeing, like into my brain or stomach perhaps.

Well I have been back on it, along with aspirin starting this month after a couple more stents and I am as nervous as a kitten in a room full of rocking chairs about it. My doctor said 6 months and I told him lucky if I make it for 3. I've been two weeks and so far no nosebleeds, no gastritis.

I just cannot conceive of your spending 7 years on the drug. A week with gastritis is about 6 days too long for me.

Have you talked to your doctor about substituting another "blood thinner" like warfarin perhaps or nothing?
(Too bad you cannot take aspirin...I think it is at least as good as clopigorel.)

Last edited by Voxx976; 07-17-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: Clopidogrel

So now after a month of clopigdogrel (Plavix) I have developed a persistent morning cough and a constant dull headache that feels like my head is overfull and I become fatigued easily. Even leaving the hospital I was full of energy so this is likely all caused by the cumulative effect of the drug.
At least my nose is not bleeding this go-'round.

I skipped yesterday and the headache went away, but I am still coughing.

Web shows a LOT of people get both the cough and the headache and the fatigue, so this is not likely a coincidence.

I will go on an every second day regimen, hoping side effects abate a bit while continuing aspirin,325 mg, as I have for 20 years.

No WAY I am going to be able to stay with this drug for a year.

What was your reaction to Plavix (clopidogrel?)

Last edited by Voxx976; 08-02-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
plavix