It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2002, 07:26 PM   #1

deestone HB User
Post dyslexic

daycare just told me my 4 yr old might be dyslexic. He cant identify his colors. I have tried looking it up but there is nothing about 4 yr olds. Can someone give me some advice on what to do. I also thought maybe he could just be color blind....

Old 04-16-2002, 06:50 AM   #2

txs1638 HB User
Hello. First of all your daycare should not be making a diagnosis like that. Second of all in my opinion, your child is to young to be diagnosed. And last, my son is 4 and he hasn't got his colors down yet. My oldest child( a girl) is 8 and she wrote a lot of numbers and letters backwards until she was about 61/2. I was told by her doctor that most children do this until 2nd or 3rd grade. She is now in third grade and has A/B honor roll. I also have a daughter who is 7 and she did this until the middle of this school year. She is also A/B honor roll. I wouldn't really worry until he is much older.

------------------
child of the KING!

[This message has been edited by txs1638 (edited 04-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2002, 11:31 AM   #3

Cate74 HB User
Age 4 might be a bit young to diagnose dyslexia. I don't believe that just because he doesn't know his colors yet that he has dyslexia. Have they noticed that he reverses letters and when he speaks does he say things like, "I'm hot, I want my coat on", when he meant off.

My daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia in 1st grade because she could not read or identify the letters q, p, b, d. The good news is that the schools now can teach the dyslexic differently. My daughter learned to read by writing in sand and other colorful items with that texture, she could not sound out words so she learned red words. I am not a teacher so I don't know exactly how they taught her but she reads well.
She will graduate from high school this year with a B average. GREAT! She is super intelligent and learns more by hearing things than by reading them. I read to her sometimes.

It is true that some children reverse letters until late 2nd grade early 3rd grade, but there are a battery of tests that can be given as early as 1st grade to diagnose dyslexia and other learning disbilities. The school district's psycologist should do the testing. If the school suggests to have your child tested, please love him enough to do the testing. There is help in the school for him if he has dyslexia.

------------------
Cate

Old 04-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #4

katt_imp HB User
Hi I am 26 years old and dyslexic. I have never had any trouble with colours. I see letters back wards and numbers too. For an example most people see 123 but no if I am in a reading it at time I see it as 321 or 231 and it is hard. I see words to like most people see the words to but I have seen it as ot. Some of the thing that have help me as to read books to an adult and to have some one play number games with me like matching games. Take some cardboard and cut them into the size of a deck of cards and write 1 throw to 30 on the card make sure that there is two of each number and get your child to match them and you can do the same thing with the ABC'S. Play it like a game and your child should have fun do this game once every week . See if that helps.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

Jenmak HB User
Re: dyslexic

Katt, i was just wondering... do you actually see "to" like "ot" and "123" like "231" or do you just read it liek that and what you see is the real way it is spelt out? i am wondering because i have begun to experience symptoms like dyslexia and i dunno what to do

Closed Thread