It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
(male)

Lectus HB User
Slurred speech, slower reading, poor coordination, keyboard dyslexia

Has anyone had these symptoms? I was diagnosed as Bi-polar (I believe, not 100% sure), and I've been having these symptoms for the past year (minor at first, but getting much worse up to this point). I don't believe I have cycles... just one downward spiral into worsening stupidity.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #2

HoosierBj HB User
Hey, we're lucky enough to have at least two reasons for those symptoms!
One is our bipolar disorder,
But the main one is due to the medications we're on. 10 to 1 if you look at the list of side effects on your meds you'll see the symptoms you mentioned.
When they are really serious then the docs can meddle with the dosage or type, nothing we hate more, but its the price we pay...
I have a slight tremor (worse in the morning), pee 80 times a day & night, go to the bathroom more times than a toddler. BUT - my lithium has kept me on an even keel for years now. Ok, until recently but that's a female issue I think.
Also, I have poor concentration, poor short-term memory, forget what I'm in the middle of, and basically have what you so truly describe as "a bad case of the stupids".
I'm so glad you wrote in! I had forgotten that I have lots of company out there!!

Last edited by HoosierBj; 11-11-2003 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
(male)

Lectus HB User
Yeah, but the thing with me is I've been having these symptoms for a year now and just recently began taking medication (which DOES actually make my concentration worse, or it's more of the same degeneration I've been going through.) I'm still not convinced that it's my bi-polar that's doing it. Right now I'm looking at yeast infections and allergies as a cause, because I get this full feeling in my ears (eustachian tubes) and a foggy head (yeast issues). Also, I feel much worse if I've been eating cheese, but that may just be a thing I do when I'm not feeling well.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:47 PM   #4

VeryOldLady HB User
Have you gone in for a good thorough checkup lately? They could be symptoms of anything ranging from mini strokes to diabetes to...I dunno...tickbites even. They're too vague to just assume they're part of an already diagnosed problem.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 AM   #5

HoosierBj HB User
I'm pretty up front about my age here so forgive me if I toss this thought in the ring and it doesn't apply to you!
I personally believe, and there are NOT enough studies being done on this, that perimenopause and menopause have additional risks for women who have Bipolar Disorder.
I was stabilized for YEARS, but then fell kerplunk right out of the workforce and was unable to deal with a job, stress, much of anything. Poor concentration, no learning curve, on and on!
My doctor is no help, I really need a psychiatrist who is aso a ob/gyn with a specialty in menopause!!!
If this DOES apply to you I'd love to start a new thread to discuss this stuff. I don't have anyone yet on the boards who is going thru this along with me!!
Thanks,
Bj

Old 11-13-2003, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

madamkitty HB User
I thought I was the only one who had these symptoms. I used to be a speed reader, I could read a 500 page book in 2 hours, now I'm lucky if I can finish it, I have to continually re-read pages to know what the book is about. I can't keep my train of thought on one subjectat all and forgetful is my new nickname. I know it sounds like an excuse to my family but I have to keep saying I forgot to the littleiest things. My Bi Polar was diagnosed in May 2003 after I totally burned out and ended up in a mentle hosp. Before that I really thought I was on a downhill slide into insanity with the things that were going on in my head. I have been trying to fill out the forms for disability for 3 weeks and they are due to be reviewed on Monday and I'm not done yet!I also have RA and my doctor says there's no way I can go back to my job because of all the medicines I'm on. Maybe that will help me get the disability, I'll just have to wait and see. Add peri menopause and I agree when your hormones go out of wack and you're already bi polar it makes for a bumpy ride.

The following user gives a hug of support to madamkitty:
saragin (01-19-2011)
Closed Thread