It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 11:14 AM   #1

aloopner HB User
Exclamation ? on reading problems/dyslexia

My son is 9 yrs old and in 3rd grade. He missed the cut off for school so there for is old for his grade. In 1st grade a teacher caught on that he was having problmes with reading and writing. We had him tested and he has dyslexia, he still reads at a year or so behind his grade level. Of course every year will get harder. He is in title 1 at school, but I don't feel it's enough to help him. Over summer he has 1 on 1 help..that too, I don't feel is enough. I Have read up on Dyslexia, I have seen lots on a phonics game. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with this at all. I also have been told Hooked on Phonics is a good thing. But, It's more teaching, with books and that I am afraid will only frustrate him more, vs the game that could be fun and learn too? Does anyone have any other ideas for me? This saddens me so much to watch him struggle so bad. ITBS (tests) start this year, and they have sent home examples for the children to practice, and he can't read the level of these tests...how do you explain to a child, that even if they say (school) that it isn't serious to have a hard time with the tests...because he feels like a failure, I don't want that for my children!!

Please help me if you can.....any advice I would love to hear!!

aloopner

Old 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #2

Nylrak HB User
Re: ? on reading problems/dyslexia

I work in testing adults with learning disabilities, so I wouldn't feel as confident in giving advice about a child - but - just to let you know, there is a really good article in the July 28 2003 issue of Time Magazine (the cover is "overcoming Dyslexia". In addition, not to be incorporated right now (as it would likely begin the chain of dependance) but there are several computer software programs that offer speech-to-text and text-to-speech technology assistance that have been very beneficial to people with reading disabilities. And, whatever you do, don't loose your faith in him! If you are saddened....think about how sad he is (only his displays in frustration and anger!) Keep a positive outlook on reading (no matter how much it almost gets the best of you!) Take advantage of the games, computer programs, etc. that "hide" the fact that they are learning and helpful tools. Always try to approach things in a positive light. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread