It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Dyslexia Anyone?

Just curious if anyone else has noticed moderate dyslexia since being diagnosed. Im not even sure if this is a symptom or not, or if this is something completely unrelated, but I'll swear a few years back I had like a 98+% typing accuracy score and this past year I notice MANY words with letter reversed.

I used to write for a paepr in college and know my typing was much better than it is today. Now its like I gotta check everything 3 times before sending anything, particularly for business and even then I have a tendency to miss my errors as they look correct to me. Its a pain in the butt. Like my brain took a vacation. Anyone else have trouble like this?

Old 11-06-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: Dyslexia Anyone?

I experienced that while overdosed on ATD's and sent hypo. I also would use the wrong word in my speech, while in my head I would think that I used the correct word. Mine cleared up when my thyroid levels were normalized and stable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

It is funny that you should mention that....I don't have a problem reading the words, and never have (except when I am really tired), but I have joked for several years about my "dyslexic fingers". It seems that when I type, I get all the right letters in, but they get out of order, somehow.

I type more accurately on one of the split ergonomic keyboards like the Microsoft Natural Keyboards or one of the clones. I discovered this because around the time I was diagnosed, I had problems with my wrists that looked like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Getting my thyroid levesl balanced helped with that, but didn't correct my terribly dyslexic fingers.

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-06-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive

hypodude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
It is funny that you should mention that....I don't have a problem reading the words, and never have (except when I am really tired), but I have joked for several years about my "dyslexic fingers". It seems that when I type, I get all the right letters in, but they get out of order, somehow.

I type more accurately on one of the split ergonomic keyboards like the Microsoft Natural Keyboards or one of the clones. I discovered this because around the time I was diagnosed, I had problems with my wrists that looked like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Getting my thyroid levesl balanced helped with that, but didn't correct my terribly dyslexic fingers.

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!
Funny....as I read back, I spelled "paper" incorrectly on my first post. Im the same way. I get all the letters correct most of the time, but sometimes it looks like a Word Jumble you find in the Sunday paper.

Last edited by hypodude; 11-06-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I notice my typing has gotten really bad. I think my fingers are trying to keep up with the thoughts in my brain and can't!

April

Old 11-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

kacl HB User

I had felt like I was getting a little dsylexic, too. It's never been a major problem for me, but it was enough to notice. I haven't thought about it for a while, but it does seem like it's gotten better now that I'm on meds. Boy, this thyroid stuff can cause the strangest symptoms.

Katherine

Last edited by kacl; 11-07-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive

hypodude HB User

After my friend had t-surgery and was waiting to get her meds straight, she was so hypo she was slurring her words like she was drunk and didn't even realize it.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #8

Its Megan HB User

I dunno if this counts for dyslexic but... I will use a word in a sentence and then question whether or not that word goes in the sentence...so I will say the word again and sometimes twice more..and then the word doesnt even sound like a word at all and I have to look it up! lol Kooky stuff

Old 12-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
(female)

Sherriof WV HB User

Sherriof WV here .....I was scanning thru and found yours.....If you have read any of my posts you know me...if not I have been hypoT for about 6-7 years now that I can put my finger on. BUT I was diagnosed with severe dsylexia in second grade. My school had gone as far as to put me in the "--tarded" class and my MOM flipped. My IQ was tested at 120 and that was in second grade. I always was very artsy-fartsy and very creative. But my reading and understanding was yuck. Thru one summer working with my Mom, I increase my reading to a 6th grade level...just with repetion. I hope I spelled that right. I still have the tendency to spell as the word sounds. I still have to watch when typing or writing. My brain and thoughts go three times as fast as my hands. I will start in the middle of a sentence. But I am very organized and I like schedules. At 41 now I help others in my community college ( when I'm not in class) to understand how to improve their reading hang-ups. By the way, I was told in high school even though I was an honor student that I would never make it in college. Well look out...I am a full time college student AND a member of the Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society. BUT to answer the question you are all talking about.YES YES....I have noticed that my attention span, and the brain fog as you all have been calling it (my daughter and I call it something else)....is coming faster and faster. I have tried so many things but I hope the answer lies in the controlling of my htpoT. Talk to you all soon....Sherri (I like this bouncing guy)

[In regards to the brain fog term that I edited, please refrain from using cuss/slang words or profanity...even though for some people it may not be considered that bad, we try to keep this board clean for everyone. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-05-2004 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Removed cuss/slang word.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 AM   #10
(female)

kiya HB User

I've not been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Recently I've been putting the wrong words in sentences and not realising until someone's said 'don't you mean...?' and I'm like 'huh?' I don't have dyslexia but I do have difficulty in choosing the right words for correct sentence structure sometimes and it's so frustrating.

Either I really do have hypothyroidism and my doc is wrong... or I'm going crazy!!!

Old 12-07-2004, 03:18 AM   #11

Lydiia HB User

I was born dyslexic, tho they didnt have a name for it then that I know of. I had a terrible time with any letters with curves in them. I made the curves backwards. I also am clearly missing the section of brain that involves direction. I dont mean that I am bad with direction like many people, I mean it isnt there at all. I can get lost in my own back yard
I guess I learned to compensate as a child and these things werent obvious problems ( other than my fear of driving to new places for fear of getting lost and recurring nightmares about getting lost).

But back to the question, my typing was always good before Hashis/HypoT and now it is really bad. I type backwards all the time. I seem incapable of typing the word "to" properly. It always comes out at "ot".

I am also having above average troubles with memory, concentration, speech and mental confusion. None of these were even minor issues for me before becoming HypoT. I really hate this. The typing is a big inconvenience as well since I type for a living pretty much. My handwriting, which was always decent is now totally illegible as well. I cant even read it !

Old 12-07-2004, 07:05 AM   #12

dogtired HB User

OMG yes I do...I used to tell everyone I had typing dyslexia and also
when writing I always write the letter ahead of the one I'm supposed to.
It's like my mind is skipping ahead to the next letter.Did that make sense?
What a relief to know I'm not alone I thought I was just loosing it.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I think I am a little dsylexic, Up until a few weeks ago, when I was talking to my roommate about this, I thought everyone read whole sentences and or paragraphs at a time, instead she tells me that she reads the words indvidually. I have tried this way of reading and if I do I get the words backwards and then things don't make sense. By the way my roommate is a very articulate writer and I can't make paragraphs or sentences. I think I have memorized different styles of writing and only pick out certain words.( Frustrating I can't put this thought into words). All I know is when I read I skip most of the words in a paragraph and read the whole thing at once. This may be caused by excessive reading however (I have read over 200 books this year) But, its hard for me to remember what I read, because of how I do it. How are you hypodude?

Closed Thread