It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

Jenmak HB User
dyslexia... i think i have it.. =((

hello everyone... i think i have dyslexia but i'm not sure because i dunno how to diagnose it. I'm a 22 year old female... i just started to notice symptoms...
please let me know what you think...

1) when i'm listening to a voice msg and the person is leaving me his number.. he said (427...) and i wrote <472>...
2) when i read.. i mix up words in the sentence.. but i'm not sure if its cuz i'm going ahead of what i'm reading (reading too fast) or if its a dyslexic symptom.
3) i have spelling mistakes when i take notes (like when the boss is talking to me).. i usually leave out single vowels that are followed by a consonant for example: proposal ---> i wrote that like propsal... i noticed that i do that more with my boss than i do when i'm taking lecture notes at school. i'm not sure if its cuz i'm scared of my boss or what
4) i usually write good (i get A's in english class) but i notice when i type, i have a lot of repeat words...

generally.. i'm good at spelling.. like i mentioned above i get good grades in english... i can usually spell big words no problem.. but when i see a word (that i've never seen b4) thats hard to pronounce.. i usually pronouncce it really weird...

i'm also good at math and i understand logical type subjects (like math, etc) better than art type of subjects...

i dropped out of high school cuz i just didnt like it... but i went to college when i was 19.. and i've been getting a's and b's...

those are some examples of my experiences...i'm really scared thinking that i could be dyslexic.. but i would like to know if i have it... please let me know your thoughts on this as well as how i can be diagnosed if my experiences sounds like dyslexia...

thanks...

Last edited by Jenmak; 06-08-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Re: dyslexia... i think i have it.. =((

I would suggest if your still at college and they provide testing then to put your mind at rest get tested, its nothing to be scared about, i seem to get on ok with my life even though i have dyscalclia and dyslexia, i am a qualified vet nurse and dont seem to have any difficulties so even if you have got it you can still occomplish many things

Maybe there is someone at college who can point you in the right direction, ask someone if you can, ggod luck

Old 08-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #3

nattalie74 HB User

I hear ya.I know this must be hard.Its nothing to be ashamed about! Will be a good idea to get tested to really see what is going on.Dont feel bad about it.I,myself have a learning disability and it is hard sometimes.So I know how you feel.Did you know that Tom Cruise has dyslexia? I found this out by searching information of "celebrities with disabilities".

Just dont let it get you down.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #4

damselindistres HB User

Hi, you certainly have some of the symptoms of dyslexia (missing out letters and transposing numbers). Getting tested is a good idea and whatever people say having dyslexia does not mean your stupid (apparently Einstein may have been dyslexic), sorry if this sounds patronising but I have known people not to get tested because they feel they will be stigmatised by their peers. Hope this helps and good luck for the future.

Last edited by damselindistres; 08-18-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 AM   #5

myope33 HB User

I think even normal people occasionally confuse things. If I am tired and read fast ive been known to confuse b's with d's also E's with 3's in a tumbling E eyechart. I guess its the left-right brain getting confused. Sometimes I read one word as a different word if the difference is by one letter in the middle of a word. Your good grades show you can learn fine thougn

Closed Thread