It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 AM   #16

coughingg HB User
Re: Is It Possible To Develop Dyslexia As A Teenager?

See I want to know if you can too. I've had prolems gett worse over the past few years. My spelling has never been that great and in about year 8 I started writing some letters backwards and my spelling would improve no matter how much I try to learn it. I've never been able to do my 3,4,6,8,9,11,12 times tables and had to just count on my fingers in my GCSEs.

When I read the, white background glares out at me and I can't follow the text (this has been getting progressively worse) now I wear tinted glasses to help me read better and it does help. I also muddle up words and read them wrong whether in my head or outloud. Like one time in English I said 'clothing' instead of 'covering'. I also get really tired when I read and often fall asleep.

My school said they where going to get me to see some weird person but they never got round to it and I'm now starting my AS levels at a new college and dont know what I should do about it.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #17
(female)

meggreg HB User

so i was wondering the same thing because ive been having similar troubles and then theres the whole concentration thing, but my cousin said something that made me think yestersday, and it was that maybe you were born with certain disorders and it just took longer to develop.... now i find myself looking back over things i write and read just to double check, and it takes things forever to registar with me.... someone will say something and illl be like what and then my brain catches up with me and i say ok ok ok before they really get the chance to repeat themselves...then the talking thing, its like my tongue doesnt work or something cause i cant say anythin or it comes out completely wrong... like ill mean to say something and something is mispronounced or the wrong part of the word is stressed..... but anyways, ive tried to do some research, and this is where i got, and i dont think anyone has really looked into the thought of developing dyslexia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

At least there are people like me...

Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #19
(female)

Lounks HB User

I am not sure. I have developmental dyslexia which means that I have had it forever even though it wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult. I and my teachers new I had some problems but it was only really as I got older that they got even more noticable and problematic. I don't think it is that it got worse but because work got more demanding. So to answer your question I *think* you are either born with it (but might not be diagnosed until much later) or maybe get it from brain injury or something maybe? I don't no really but somebody might.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #20
(female)

pjbhawaii HB User

No it is not possible to develop dyslexia in your teens. You either have something else, or your ADD started when you were 5 or 6, and you are just recognizing your problems now. If you hate to read, really really hate it, especially if you hate to read out loud; if you have a hard time trying to find out what point the writer is trying to make; if you read and write slowly, and forget when you are saying writing in the midst of the exercize, you likely are dyslexic.

[removed] It's pretty easy to get helpful intelligent info from professionals. The challege will be to use that inforation to forward your life.

I suggest you see a pyschologist trained in this area, or a trained psychiatrist. Only a psychiarist or other medical doctor can prescribe psychotropic meds.

Good luck to you.

PJ Hawaii

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-12-2006 at 12:15 AM. Reason: do not refer to commercial websites.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Well,I haven't had any injuries to my head,so that can't be a part of the problem,and I've always loved to read but that love has dwindled since middle school (I'm in 10th grade now).Reading out loud is one of my worst traits,I always screw up the words even if I know them...

This may seem irrelevant,but here is something I got in an e-mail:

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?

Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed this forwrad it.

I could read the above perfectly the first time with no problem at all.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
(female)

Charlotte88 HB User

I know you can't develop dyslexia, but I was diagnosed with dyslexia after i started university. kids often create coping strategies and it isnt until it all becomes too much and work is too complicated that symptons start to show. I have never been able to read a book because the words literally fall off the page, yet i was just told i was tired, i do the most common dyslexic things yet it wasnt picked up on because i always acheived ok even good grades in school! my verbak skills are also way above average, so i have been told iv literally managed to blag my way out of everything. the symtons are always there, its just whether you are able to cope with them.

Closed Thread