It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Is It Possible To Develop Dyslexia As A Teenager?

Starting this year I have had many more problems with reading,writing,math (the signs and numbers),and speaking.I am a teenager,and I am wondering if it is even possible to develop dys(lexia)/(calculia) as a teenager.Also,is there some sort of speech disorder in which you mix up your words?

An example of what I do put together that happened today:

I was reading a headline in the paper outloud and it said Town Name Gun Back In Business,but I read is *** "Town Name BUN Back In Business" because of the word BACK coming later in the headline.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Is It Possible To Develop Dyslexia As A Teenager?

Can your parents afford a private tutor for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Umm...I don't know...But what does that have to do with my question?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Tutor can help you to learn on your own speed. May be there are center which can give you a test to see what is your problem

Old 02-09-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Okay...But that STILL doesn't answer my question.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I don't think it is possible to develope such problems at your grade and age with no symptoms before hand.

I think what galinaqt is trying to say, is that it could be a block at school in which is causing the problems. A tutor may actually help you figure out what is cauing your symptoms, and if it is school related, can help significantly.

In my opinion, it sounds like a thought processing problem. When you read (letters or numbers) do you have a hard time getting the actual information TO your head? Or when it gets to your head it turns inside out? Does your thoughts seem to speed up or slow down at times?

Considering these things have just started, it could be a school block (as galinaqt mentioned) or anything from attention problems, depression, anxiety, mood changes, thought processing problems, or it could just be your concentration.

What I am getting at, is that it being Dyslexia or calculalia is doubtful. If these problems persist or worsen, or if your troubles can't be overcome with studying or organization, I'd see your school counselor or teacher and try to figure out the basis of your signs.

SGH

Old 03-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

zackbluebeach HB User

Dear it is unusual to have this combination of problems turn up in your teens, if it was dyslexia etc you would have seen it earlier. I am especially worried about your changing speech patterns and visual problems. This could be a symptom of an underlying medical problem. Don't let this go, see your family doctor stat.
A Mom

Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
(female)

teacherintexas HB User

I've tutored lots of junior high/high school age kids who suddenly had dyslexic tendencies when none were really noticable before. In the earlier years, coping strategies are easy to develop but as the curriculum gets harder, those coping strategies don't work as well so you notice the tendencies all of a sudden. A few of those kids got Irlen colored overlays and that instantly helped some problems. You might look into getting screened for Irlen syndrome also.

I agree with the posts about working with the school counselor and your teachers as well as getting a physical asap. The more help you get, the more likely you are to improve.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I just had a physical and my eyesight and everything are just fine.In fact - I am extremely healthy.

My problem isn't that great...Just kind of odd and a bit of a nusance.

Irlen sound so much like me!

Also - It's not like these problems are new problems...They have just gotten worse this year (and I just started highschool this year),so it may have to do with more complexity of what I have to be reading.

Last edited by missyou009; 03-24-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
(female)

DixieDisc HB User

First of all, at your age you're certainly onvertired. I was exhausted throughout my entire teenage hood. Try to get plenty of sleep. Also, diet can contribute to brain activity so make sure you're feeding your brain the right nutrients through balanced diets. Here's a question: Have you experienced a trauma to your skeletal system (car accident, a bad fall, or anything that would jar your spine)? Do you play contact sports that might do the same to your body as a fall or accident? If the answer is yes, there may be another cause for your problems. Let me know. . .

Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

To answer your question: No.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
(female)

teacherintexas HB User

A regular eye appointment can't screen you for Irlen. You have to go to a special clinic or get a qualified screener to test you. I know there is a clinic in Houston, but I don't know about the rest of the U.S. Your counselor may know of a screener close to you that can test you or you could do a google search to find someone near you. Every student I have had tested for dyslexia had Irlen even if they didn't qualify as dyslexic.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
(female)

jamima HB User
Exclamation Re: Is It Possible To Develop Dyslexia As A Teenager?

yes u can. i have it

Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #14
(male)

Bob2 HB User

You say you had a little bit of a problem all along. It is probably just more stress of going into high school causing the problem to appear to be worse. My daughter had a fairly severe LD problem all through school. Her diagnosis was a speech processing delay. I remember, when she was in tenth grade, she had one of the higher maths, trigonomitry I think. At the beginning of school she would come home crying about not be able to understand anything in the class. I could not help her because I don't know higher maths. I suggested to her that she see if the school had some tutoring after school. It turn out that a number of student were having problems in the same class and the school set up a tutoring class after school. She clicked better with the tutor, he stated things in a better way for her, and she became an A student in the class.

I am being long winded here, but what I am trying to say is do not dismiss the idea of a tutor too quickly. My daughter spent several weeks of misery over not understanding this class and the tutoring helped her get a final grade of A in the class. Something to understand is the tutoring class worked a miracle for her because she was a harder worker and took full advantage of it. Of course, for her to be successful at school in the first place, she had to work hard at everything. It's paying off for her because she is a senior at George Mason University. She isn't going to graduade with high honors, but there are no words to express how proud I am of her that she is succeeding.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
(female)

pleezhelpme HB User

I do not think it is possible to develop dyslexia, it is something you are born with. If you never had a problem with it before then you probably dont have dyslexia, but maybe you have something else.

Closed Thread